2 questions: microphone and # of computers

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

onelildustbunni
Ear training freshman

2 questions: microphone and # of computers

Post by onelildustbunni » Dec 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi!

My mom has wanted Earmaster for a looong time, so I purchased the 6 Pro version for her for Christmas. What tyoe of microphone should she use for an optimal experience? Would a standard computer headset/microphone combo work (logitech) or would she need a microphone geared towards recording music? My second question: reading the package, I realized I'm pretty interested inusing Earmaster myself! I noticed the lisence allows you to install on one pc and one laptop, but my mom and I both have PC's--- would we both be able to install from the one key, or will I need to purchase another key?

Thanks! :D

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: 2 questions: microphone and # of computers

Post by Quentin » Dec 13, 2013 3:36 am

Hi,
Any type of microphone will do, actually. On the front page of the website, we link to a video where Hans, the lead developer of EarMaster, tests the sight-singing exercise with the built-in microphone of a MacBook Pro. As you can see, the software picks up perfectly the tones he sings. So a simple computer headset should work great too.

A couple of things to keep in mind though:
1. Use headphones. If you don't, there is a good chance that the sound of the metronome will be picked up by the microphone, and that would start the evaluation process even though you haven't sung or clapped anything.

2. Spend the necessary time adjusting your mic settings in teh Microphone Calibration Tool of EarMaster (TOOLS menu). If the tones displayed in the Mic Calibration Tool are not correctly recognized, they won't be either in the exercises.

As for the question on the license, please write to our commercial support formt he contact page of our website. :)

Cheers,
Quentin
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -