Update Screwed Me

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Canucki
Ear training buff

Update Screwed Me

Post by Canucki » Jun 03, 2014 6:38 am

The last update has almost made your program useless to me. I had set it up so that it would test for all random intervals (this itself was difficult to figure out) starting from randomly generated roots. The answers were given as any Jazz musician would understand - major second, minor seventh etc... Now answers are only available in soflege - which is really next useless to a Jazz musician. Also f8 used to confirm my choice - now? This last is probably something I can figure out after an hour or so. But the first problem? Please fix the so I can use your program.

Canucki

Canucki
Ear training buff

Re: Update Screwed Me

Post by Canucki » Jun 03, 2014 6:50 am

Actually I figured the first problem out - although it is really very confusing. There is one tab called Answer input - which says you can choose Soflege keyboard. But under the tab called "exercise settings" there is a another tab called "note naming" which strangely affects the Soflege keyboard - making it into a NOT-soflege keyboard. The so-called soflege keyboard now appears like any north american jazz musician would understand 1, b2, 2, b3 etc... Really however I should be able to organize this more rationally so that my choices correspond to how jazz musicians understand the upper parts of a chord - b9,9,#9,3 11, #11 etc... The problem now is there is no way to confirm a choice - I used to press f8 and go onto the next test. Now I can't.

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Re: Update Screwed Me

Post by Niclas » Jun 04, 2014 4:41 am

Hi Canucki,

In regards to your first problem, you are right that the fact that the solfege keyboard can also display scale degrees can be confusing. We are currently looking into how we can make things more self-explanatory. Maybe by renaming that answer input option to something more general.

On a side note, notice that Movable-Do solfege syllables, as used by default by the solfege keyboard, is very standard in most English-speaking countries, especially for sight-singing or ear trainign activities where you need to sing notes.

For the F8 problem: When i test it here i can still use F8 to confirm my answer. I've tested it on both PC and Mac. However, when i do it on mac i have to hold down "fn" in order for my mac to register it as F8 instead of the shortcut for pause/play, that the button also contains. Are you on PC or mac?

-Niclas