EarMaster acts as MIDI repeater?

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

neuviemeporte
Ear training buff

EarMaster acts as MIDI repeater?

Post by neuviemeporte » Nov 06, 2014 12:30 pm

I am using EarMaster together with my digital piano as both the input and output device over MIDI using the MIDI out and in connectors of my audio interface (ESI Juli@).

Everything works fine, in that I am able to input notes and EM is recognizing them, and EM is able to play notes on the piano back to me.

However, it appears that when I strike a note on the keyboard, it is registered by EM and sent back to the piano. The result is an odd "echo" effect caused by the same note being played (very quickly) twice - once by me and once by EM.

To avoid this, I am forced to disable local control on the piano, which makes everything sound okay, but the downside is that my settings on the piano (voice, reverb etc.) are disregarded.

I can appreciate this behaviour (makes sense when a different device is used for input, and an another for output), but for cases such as mine, would it be possible to add an option to disable repeating of received notes?

Thanks!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: EarMaster acts as MIDI repeater?

Post by Quentin » Nov 07, 2014 2:58 am

Hi,

Disabling the "Play tone on mouse click" option from the Exercise Settings menu might solve the issue for some of the activities, but in general it could be a nice addition as a global preference option. I'll notify the development team.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

neuviemeporte
Ear training buff

Re: EarMaster acts as MIDI repeater?

Post by neuviemeporte » Nov 08, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks! :)