How do I select Absolute pitch identification for sight-sing

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

rohit
Ear training rookie

How do I select Absolute pitch identification for sight-sing

Post by rohit » Nov 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi,

I want to practice sight-singing and melody imitation using absolute pitch. However the option to select to select it via Exercise Settings -> Answer Identification -> Absolute does not show up for these exercises - there is no "Answer Identification" menu item.

Because of this, for exercises that have a large range of notes, even though I'm singing at the same pitch, the actual line it show keeps jumping around as Earmaster tries to wrap the note I'm singing to an octave such that the distance to the target note is minimized. This is very, very, very bothersome.

I'm using Earmaster 6.1 build 642PX on Mac.

Rohit

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: How do I select Absolute pitch identification for sight-

Post by Quentin » Nov 20, 2014 8:51 am

Hi Rohit,

That option was removed recently because many people thought that the voice input didn't work whereas the problem was that they were simply singing in the wrong octave. We added a function that automatically - and silently - transposes the input to the octave of the question.

It seems however from your post that it is not working properly in some cases. What are the setttings of the exercise exactly? We have not yet experienced what you described, but we could perhaps reproduce it by using the same settings as you.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

rohit
Ear training rookie

Re: How do I select Absolute pitch identification for sight-

Post by rohit » Nov 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for responding: independent of how well it's working, I need to practice the basic exercises and the melodies I've imported using Absolute pitch (sight singing + melody imitation). Can I get a previous build, with the option enabled? Or change a config file to set all my exercises to Absolute pitch?

Rohit