Triplets are played with false accentuation

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Thomas
Ear training ninja

Triplets are played with false accentuation

Post by Thomas » May 09, 2015 5:13 am

Velocity values of eight-triplets on 4/4 measure:

90 70 80, 90 70 80, 90 70 80, 90 70 80

The third triplet note has a higher velocity value (80) than the second triplet note (70).
There is no difference between beat 1 and beat 3.
This is very irritating in the rhythm exercises. In EarMaster 5 it is okay.

EarMaster Pro 6.1 (build 648PW)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Triplets are played with false accentuation

Post by Quentin » May 11, 2015 5:40 am

Hi,

The values are indeed slightly more dramatic than in EarMaster 5 (if I remember well), but do follow the same pattern. There are no absolute rule for the execution of tuplets, but the one used in EarMaster (first note = strong accent, notes in the middle = no accent, last note = light accent) is fairly widespread. It could be nice to have a setting in EarMaster letting the user decide how to accentuate tuplets.

Have you tried to change the sound used for rhythms? Maybe a different sound will make the velocity variations less obvious?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Thomas
Ear training ninja

Re: Triplets are played with false accentuation

Post by Thomas » May 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi Quentin,

I can't agree that this is widespread. I have had some music teachers who has studied music, but no one told me to play so. I have also looked in my music theory books. Please give me some examples.

I have worked with High Tom for the rhythm sound. Now I have chosen woodblock (a shorter sound). It is better now.