dumb and less dumb...

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

cioran

dumb and less dumb...

Post by cioran » Feb 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Hello.

Just downloaded the trial version and love it. Will definately buy, but need to make a fool of myself first; to input rhythms I'm asked to press "NUM" and a number. My keyboard fails to yield such a key, except for the usual Num/Lock one, which does nothing. I'm missing something obvious - please enlighten me...

Further, I'm running a MIDI keyboard to an external Tone Port USB soundcard with an ASIO driver, and there is no way I should get as much latency as I do; up to 50 ms. Also, velocity seems to be a factor. I know the question isn't new here, but would you enlighten me on this too?

Finally, there only seems to be one supplier of the software in Sweden, and that's a gruff voice on an answering machine. Is there a Swede here who knows if he'll ever check his voicemail?

Thanks, and congrats on a veru nice piece of software.

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Feb 27, 2006 8:31 am

1) "NUM" refers to the numerical keypad, so e.g. "NUM 5" is the digit 5 on the numerical keypad without any other key.

2) It is not clear for me if the latency you mention is for the MIDI sound (MIDI out) or it is for the MIDI keyboard (MIDI in)?

If you "clap" rhythms on your external MIDI keyboard and they are delayed, then it can still be because of a delay in the MIDI output. If there is a delay in your sound card, then you will hear the metronome sound later than EarMaster actually played it. This means you follow a delayed metronome and therefore EarMaster will think you answered late.

3) If there is an answering machine then you have probably called outside the opening hours, but then the message will tell you when to call.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

cioran
Ear training freshman

Post by cioran » Feb 28, 2006 12:08 pm

Hi Hans,

on the dumb question I really missed the obvious - I didn't notice the cursor note changing; I thought the notes would be entered automatically. Egg on my face.

As for the second, I've found setting the whole thing up through an external synth module and run through the MIDI keyboard and adapter is easiest - that way I avoid annoying latency, which, as you surmised, was caused by a delayed metronome. I could probably set something up with my external sound card, if this seems better in future. It's fine for now, though.

Finally, yes, the answering machine provides opportynity for leaving a message - sadly, pretty rare these days.

Thanks a lot for your help, my issues are resolved and I look forward to making the most of your software.
All the best.