Why do my screen freeze?

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

albe1550
Ear training enthusiast

Why do my screen freeze?

Post by albe1550 » Nov 19, 2016 6:00 am

Hello.

I have just installed EarMaster yesterday on my iPad2. The app worked perfectly for the first hours but then it started to make problems. Every time I open it, the screen freeze after a while and the only way to get out of it is to use the "home" button. When I open the app again it works, but for shorter time than last time. Last time i opened it, I weren't avalible to answer a single question before it froze.

I have installed EarMaster once before but the same problem happened then. So I deleted the app. What can I do? Have you experienced the same?

Hope someone will help, cause I really like this app.
Thank you

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Re: Why do my screen freeze?

Post by Niclas » Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am

Hi

Thank you for getting in touch.

This is interesting. I don't believe we've heard of the app freezing before. Does it happen at any specific time or place in the app? Or does it just freeze randomly?

When you close it with the home button, do you close completely down afterwards before starting again? (Double tap on the home button, and then swipe up on the EarMaster app to close it)

Have you tried to restart your iPad?

Best,
Niclas

albe1550
Ear training enthusiast

Post by albe1550 » Nov 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi and thanks for your answer

One of the first things I did was to restart my iPad but it didn't had any influence. It happens very randomly. Usually it starts with the explanation text in the middel that freezes but the music keeps playing. And when I'm tapping the answer, there's no respons. Some days is it almost impossible to use the app but other days (like today) has there been no problems - so far. When I close it, I use the home button twice and then swipe it up.

I've actually bought the beginner package and the generally workshops because I thought there would be no problems after I re-installed it. I just think it is very strange because my iPad has never froze in any app before. I hope it will keep running from now but I will text you if it makes any problems with freezing again.

Alberte

albe1550
Ear training enthusiast

Post by albe1550 » Dec 06, 2016 10:06 am

Hello,

I thought I would just say that my screen still freezes sometimes when I use Ear Master. I don't have a clue how to solve the problem but generally I can use it for a while before it freezes so it's kind of allright. But if you have an idea, then please tell me because it is very irritating.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 07, 2016 2:27 am

Hi,

We are trying to find out what could be the cause if this problem. We haven't been able to reproduce it yet though, so here are a few questions that might elp us find out what the probelm might be:

1. How much disk space do you have left on your iPad?
2. Were you getting notifications from other Apps before the problem happened (Facebook, Twitter, SMS or News app updates with sound notification)?
3. Are you using Bluetooth speakers or headsets?
4. How many lessons do you manage to complete before the problem is occuring?

Thank you in advance for your answers and your patience.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

albe1550
Ear training enthusiast

Post by albe1550 » Dec 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi, sorry it has taken me so long time to write an answer.

1. I have used 12,9 GB and I have 16 in total.
2. No, I'm sure I'm not getting any sound notifications, and I'm actually also quite sure that I'm not even getting notifications at all. In the settings I've cancelled almost every kind of that.
3. No, I'm neither using Bluethooth speakers nor headphones - maybe my family would pleasure headphones sometimes.
4. It is very different. I'm trying to find a connection what makes it freeze, but it seems almost impossible. Some days I can use EarMaster for the whole day without it freezes (not that I've done that) but other days, I can only use it for one or two lessons or even only a few questions. I don't know why it then suddently works again the next day or maybe the day after. But as I have written before: it's no longer as big a problem like in the beginning but some days it still acts very strange.

Best, Alberte

By the way, I've read that you're from Denmark and that's also where I live. If it's true, then we could maybe write in danish in the future if needed? That would be a lot easier... :)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 20, 2016 4:50 am

Hi Alberte,

Yes we can definitely continue in Danish, but then we should perhaps do that by email then.
In the latest update, we added an improved handling of hardware resources, so you should experience better performance from the app.

Du må meget gerne skrive til: support@earmaster.com. Så kan vi fortsætte med at hjælpe dig på dansk, hvis du hellere vil det :)

albe1550
Ear training enthusiast

Post by albe1550 » Dec 20, 2016 7:52 am

Okay, I think the new update may have helped, but I will text you if it becomes impossible to use again.
Thanks for your time!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 21, 2016 3:23 am

It sounds good. There's an even newer update that just got online today. It includes, among many other things, further work to optimize performance.