Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

User avatar
Arthur_M
Ear training freshman
Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Arthur_M » Dec 05, 2017 3:01 pm

I have just discovered the problems related to the compatibility of EarMaster Pro 6 and MacOs High Sierra.

Let's be clear: the v6 not being compatible with High Sierra is YOUR problem, and NOT customers' problem. How can you ask me to repay for a software I bought less than a year ago??

I suppose I know the answer: you tell us that, technically, you cannot make the v6 compatible, but you probably just want to save time and money by focusing only on the v7. Otherwise, how do you explain any other software works perfectly on the new MacOs?

I don't want to pay for the v7. And I do not even ask for a discount. I ask for what we all have the right to claim: a v6 update!! Or: a free v7 for every v6 customer, with the guarantee that our data saved on v6 will be integrated in the v7, so that we do not have to start all over again.

Again: it is YOUR problem. I you cannot guarantee your software will be working more than a year, then do not sell it.

User avatar
Quentin
EarMaster.com
Posts: 1903
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Quentin » Dec 06, 2017 4:37 am

I reckon that it is a very unfortunate situation, and we're sincerely sorry about it. As I mentionned before in this thread, it is just not possible to make EarMaster 6 work with High Sierra without rewriting most of it, which is the same as making a brand new application. Many other applications have run into that problem, including several versions of a famous music score application.

We didn't break EarMaster's Mac compatibility. The problem was caused by changes brought by the new macOS. We have done our best to find a smooth solution by announcing the lack of High Sierra compatibility on our website and via our newsletter before its release, and by providing a temporary BETA license to all users who oversaw the notice and upgraded to 10.13. We also make sure that the upgrade price is kept low ($30) and included a 6+ months grace period.

It is not in our interest to antigonize our users. We are also musicians like you, not cold-blooded businessmen. If you still feel that we are being unfair, please contact us at support@earmaster.com to discuss this further.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

User avatar
Sensei
Ear training rookie
Posts: 2
Joined: May 14, 2018 3:44 am

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Sensei » May 14, 2018 3:50 am

Hi

I bought the EarMaster v6 license (and it wasn’t cheap) which was supposed to allow me to use it on 2 computers. It turns out now that it won’t be possible because you were unable to fix a compatibility problem with Mac. I now have a computer running on MacOs High Sierra 10.13 and it is a real disappointment that I cannot use EarMaster Pro 6.2 with it.
No matter what you’re telling us about how impossible make EarMaster 6.2 work on High Sierra is, it is really unfair to ask us to pay for an update (even at a discount price): every owner of EarMaster v6 license should have a free update to EarMaster v7.
And the end of the day it’s not our fault if you were unable to fix the compatibility problem. The price we already paid for the EarMaster v6 license adds up to an update fee makes the whole license very expensive. It is a clear disadvantage as compared to a new customer, who directly buys the EarMaster v7 license, it is not right.

So now what? What If in the future there is another update from MacOs or Windows and comes up a new compatibility issue that makes EarMaster v7 impossible to use: will you charge another fee for another update?

User avatar
Quentin
EarMaster.com
Posts: 1903
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Quentin » May 16, 2018 2:29 am

I really do understand your disappointment. But I am sure you realize that we can't continue to develop EarMaster if we give it out for free everytime an OS update breaks backward compatibility of discontinued versions of EarMaster. The very unfortunate aspect of things is that Apple tends to neglect more and more backward compatibility, and it happened very fast this time. We offered a grace period that was over 6 months before the release of v7, and for those who acquired v6 before that, set the upgrade price to 50% of the normal price, i.e. $30 (3 sets of guitar strings). The upgrade price finances thousands of hours of work on new features, a new UI, and current OS compatibility.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

User avatar
Sensei
Ear training rookie
Posts: 2
Joined: May 14, 2018 3:44 am

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Sensei » May 17, 2018 4:15 am

You are not really giving it for free since you ought to give free update to customer who buy license, as a part of the deal. See, that’s why it still seems unfair to me: when I bought the license I did it believing that I would be granted a lifetime license and with free updates (again, as a part of the deal).
Now, please don’t take it the wrong way because I don’t mean to be rude, but the fact that the last update took you hours of work is your problem not mine. Just as I also and logically understand that the fact that the hard-earned money that allowed me to buy the EarMaster v6 license (or 3 sets of guitar strings as you say) also took me a lot of hard work, is my problem not yours.

User avatar
jkhview
Ear training freshman
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby jkhview » Jun 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Quentin wrote:
> I really do understand your disappointment. But I am sure you realize that
> we can't continue to develop EarMaster if we give it out for free everytime
> an OS update breaks backward compatibility of discontinued versions of
> EarMaster. The very unfortunate aspect of things is that Apple tends to
> neglect more and more backward compatibility, and it happened very fast
> this time. We offered a grace period that was over 6 months before the
> release of v7, and for those who acquired v6 before that, set the upgrade
> price to 50% of the normal price, i.e. $30 (3 sets of guitar strings). The
> upgrade price finances thousands of hours of work on new features, a new
> UI, and current OS compatibility.

I don't get it. If you want to attract users to purchase the new version, the motivation should be something like new function or something more improved function than outdated version. The reason why users have to buy new version shouldn't be compatibility issue with new OS.
So, it's absurd that I have to purchase the new version even if I get a discounted price.
Plus, this product wasn't something what based on subscription model business. Why should I expect there would be extra cost to keep using this software. This is not even a machine(like a car or laundry machine). If this is the way how this company making profit, it's so greedy.. It's so common though today in many places..
I think you still have the responsibility to take care of users who use ear master 6 version. It's not something made in 10 or 15 years ago. come on... even MS they had been providing updates for people who were using Windows XP(Anyway they stopped doing that like couple of years ago.. but still you got what my point is.. it seems like you guys are not even trying..)

User avatar
Quentin
EarMaster.com
Posts: 1903
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Quentin » Jun 26, 2018 6:26 am

There were quite a few major changes from version 6 to 7:

Completely re-engineered user interface
New interactive beginner’s course covering all the fundamentals of music theory
Redesigned on-screen instruments (piano, guitar, bass, violin, cello, banjo, etc.)
New improved voice detection algorithm
New context-dependent help system
New advanced statistics tool
Revised General workshops
Revised Jazz workshops
New intuitive Mic Test assistant
Revised lesson introduction screen
New call-response mode for melody singback and rhythm clapback exercises
New tempo presets
Retina and full-screen support (Mac)
New instrumental profiles
Hundreds of under-the-hood improvements
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

User avatar
Mzz27
Ear training freshman
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 11, 2018 5:03 am

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Mzz27 » Jul 11, 2018 5:24 am

Hello. I bought earmaster pro 6 in january 2017. I used it and I loved it. But then I upgraded OsX and the program crashed. And now I can't use what I payed for. I know that you will say the same thing again, that I can downgrade my osX or I can buy the pro7 version with a 50% discount. But I just want to use what I paid for! Why am I supposed to pay to make it work again. I bought native instruments software like 5 or 6 years ago and it all works fine, they make patches to resolve problems. I can upgrade, but its optional, the old versions still work fine. I don't like this kind of a customer relationship. And even if I buy pro7, a new version of Osx will come out, and the same situation will repeat. Just wanted you to know about my little disappointment. The program is great anyway.

User avatar
Quentin
EarMaster.com
Posts: 1903
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Expected date for High Sierra Compatability

Postby Quentin » Jul 11, 2018 6:14 am

Hello,

Please contact support@earmaster.com
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests