EarMaster Pitch tolerance

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

joe dean
Ear training freshman

EarMaster Pitch tolerance

Post by joe dean » Nov 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi!
I've just today downloaded EarMaster for Mac and I think this is just what I need with one big reservation. I want to use this to learn sight reading while playing a fretless electric bass. It seems to be what I need, but the pitch tolerance with the program's listen seems to be very unforgiving. Even when I'm being tested on the same pitch two times in a row, one note will register correct, and another will not, even though I have not moved my finger. I would like to purchase this software, but I need to know if there is a way to widen the pitch tolerance. I'm not trying to perfect my pitch on fretless bass with this program, I simply need to be able to match the note on the staff to the note on my fingerboard.
Thank you.
Joe Dean

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: EarMaster Pitch tolerance

Post by Quentin » Nov 15, 2017 1:50 am

Hi Joe, A version 7 is coming up. The pitch detection has been greatly improved in that version. Notice however that the deepest tones will still be a problem for the software. Even dedicated hardware pitch detection systems can have problems identifying deep tones from a bass. But from the deep G or maybe A and up, it should be all fine.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -