EM7 - Sight Singing Pitch Recognition

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

JingleDjango
Ear training buff

Re: EM7 - Sight Singing Pitch Recognition

Post by JingleDjango » Feb 05, 2018 11:18 am

Yes I checked that as well and it sounds fine.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 06, 2018 2:38 am

Ok, this is very confusing. I just played your voice sample and placed a microphone in front of the speakers, and it was recognized correctly by EarMaster as Re-Do. The pitch curve is also completely flat, meaning that the pitch is stable. So we can conclude that it is neither a problem with your voice or what is recorded by EarMaster. The error must be something else. Could you perhaps film the error (with a smartphone for example) so that we may see the exact timing of all the events. There might be something that we have overseen.

You can send the video to support@earmaster.com

- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

JingleDjango
Ear training buff

Post by JingleDjango » Feb 20, 2018 8:20 am

Sorry for the late reply, Quentin. I'll do this this week when I find a moment.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 22, 2018 2:34 am

No problem :)

JingleDjango
Ear training buff

Post by JingleDjango » May 19, 2020 6:38 am

I gave up with EM7 a couple years ago because of this pitch detection issue. Updated the client and came back to it yesterday hoping whatever the problem was would have been resolved by now but I'm still getting the same frustrating issues impeding my progress. Just wanted to inform the developers. Doesn't happen every time, but happens often enough to cause me to fail some exercises, especially as they get more complex.

Video: https://imgur.com/a/jRHLXoW

Guess I'll wait for the world to stop burning and go to the conservatory.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » May 22, 2020 3:11 am

Hi,

We never received the video we asked for in order to identify the exact problem, and the link in your last post is just a screenshot so it doesn't give us any new useful information.

The pitch detection feature is working great for thousands of people, and we did conclude that the notes you sing are recognized correctly by EarMaster after you sent us samples of your voice. The problem is therefore limited to your setup or EarMaster options, and we would still like to help you with that, especially as you might still need to use EarMaster at a conservatory, as many of them use EarMaster 😊

One thing I'm thinking of: are you perhaps doing the exercise without headphones? If yes, the metronome ticks might be picked up by your mic if your speakers are too close to your mic or the volume is too high. When singing with headphones on, are you still experiencing that problem?

If that didn't help, please send us a video where you sing notes that aren't recognized correctly by EarMaster, and make sure we see the whole screen. That way, we might get hints as what exactly is not working as expected.

JingleDjango
Ear training buff

Post by JingleDjango » May 22, 2020 7:33 am

I can't hear myself well with headphones on so I haven't been wearing them.

My previous post includes a link to a video with audio. What do you need to see on my screen beyond the EM7 window?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » May 26, 2020 12:13 am

I'm sorry, I oversaw that the sound was disabled when I watched the video on imgur :roll: . I can hear it sounds right and the metronome doesn't seem to be picked up by the mic. What might cause the problem is the input gain of the mic. When doing the mic test before the lesson, can you click on "Configure" and then check that the level meter reaches the "ideal volume" when you are singing?

luisca
Ear training buff

Post by luisca » Sep 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi! I have this problem as well, with EM7 Cloud on a Macbook. Re gets routinely recognized as Ti (or around that) on my most comfortabble octave, there seems to be no problem on a higher one, but it is very uncomfortable to use the program like this. I am using headphones, but I can't see any "HELP" menu where to calibrate my mic. Help?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 11, 2020 6:36 am

Hi, you can access the mic calibration form the Mic Test screen, each time you start a singing exercise for the first time. Just click on the orange "Configure" button at the lower right corner. You can also access it directly from the HELP menu.

If your mic is set up correctly but the software doesn't recognize things correctly. Please send a video of you answering a couple of questions for the same reason as explained above. We really don't have much support requests about mic input, so there are chances that the problem is linked to something else than the actual pitch recognition feature.

luisca
Ear training buff

Post by luisca » Sep 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Got a couple of videos showing the problem:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V2tay7h3jf6M9AoV8

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help debug this.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 14, 2020 1:08 am

Thank you. When I play back your answer into EarMaster on my computer (putting my mic in front of the speakers), the correct notes are recognized. So we can conclude that the algorithm can recognize the tones accurately. What I noticed however, is that the halo around the mic is barely visible when you sing. This indicate that the mic input volume is probably too low. Please turn the volume of your mic up and try to answer the exercise again. There is a good chance that it will solve the problem.

luisca
Ear training buff

Post by luisca » Sep 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Tried maxing input volume on system settings (I don't see the config in the program), still have the issue:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JdKtM2JCSTYAtdaC7

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 23, 2020 3:33 am

Thank you for the video. It still looks like a volume issue. I can see the halo around the mic is not very strong, indicating that the mic doesn't get much sound in.

I just made a video where I play back your video and capture your voice with a webcam while the pitch detection of EarMaster is working. You will see that the pitches are recognized correctly and in a stable way even though the metronome is audible. Notice that your first pitch is (very close to) an F in the beginning, and then moves down towards E.

https://youtu.be/DbipnqFgNto

luisca
Ear training buff

Post by luisca » Sep 29, 2020 6:57 pm

Do you have any suggestion of what I could try? I have a normal macbook, using integrated mic, and headphones, maxing the input volume in system settings.