EM7 - Sight Singing Pitch Recognition

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: EM7 - Sight Singing Pitch Recognition

Post by Quentin » Oct 28, 2020 1:08 am

Thank you. I ran a frequency analyzer on the recording, and it looks like the overtones in your voice overpower the root frequency of the note when you sing D. Could you try to sing the same note in falsetto to see if the same problem occur?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

luisca
Ear training buff

Post by luisca » Oct 28, 2020 8:27 am

No, it does not happen an octave higher.

luisca
Ear training buff

Post by luisca » Oct 28, 2020 8:35 am

So anything I can do to fix the issue? As I said, there is still artifacts when I play back my singing so wondering if there is a way to fix that.

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Nov 02, 2020 7:55 am

It looks like you are having two different problems at the same time. One problem is that your voice has combination of strong overtones that make it difficult for the pitch recognition to detect the correct tone. That is a rare situation, and the only solution is to try to sing with a more "clean" voice.
The other problem with artifacts when EarMaster replays the recording can have different sources. It could be because the recording volume is too high, which would cause a saturation of the signal. However, if the artifacts sounds like a pop with constant interval, e.g. twice per second, then it could be caused by wrong samplerate conversion. EarMaster requests recording at 44.1 kHz and will only work if it can open a recording channel with that rate. If your OS or sound card driver somehow claims to support 44.1 kHz but actually records in 48 kHz, then it could cause these artifacts. The solution would be to try with a different driver or another brand of sound card.

luisca
Ear training buff

Post by luisca » Nov 02, 2020 6:34 pm

I'm using a macbook, no special drivers or soundcard, so not sure what could be wrong.