Melody singback

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Ed_in_FL
Ear training apprentice

Melody singback

Post by Ed_in_FL » Jan 28, 2018 10:43 am

How do you interpret the little colored arrows and X's in the results of the melody singback exercise in Earmaster7? The green check marks clearly mean "correct", but the meanings of the arrows and X's are not so clear.

Is there a user's manual for Earmaster7? Previous versions of Earmaster had real user's manuals, but for this version I have only been able to find a quick start guide, which is minimal.

Thanks for any help.

Ed

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Melody singback

Post by Quentin » Jan 29, 2018 3:22 am

Hi,

The red crosses mean that the note wasn't played as expected and is therefore counted as "wrong", the arrow pointing towards the right means that the answer is partially accepted, but the timing too late, and the leftward arrow means that the answer was ahead of the beat.

We will work on a more comprehensive manual as soon as our resources allow it. We have spent a lot of time on UI and UX improvements, so hopefully most of the features and options are made self-explanatory by the interface in v7. Then you can also activate the Help hotspots everywhere in the software by clicking on the icon shaped like a question mark.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Ed_in_FL
Ear training apprentice

Post by Ed_in_FL » Jan 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Quentin,

Thanks.

Ed

wjcroft
Ear training freshman

Post by wjcroft » Feb 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Quentin, here is another question on Melody singback. I'm using it here with my midi keyboard.

When you reach the end of the series, I always seem to show the score of only 10 to 15 percent. Yet I retry any melodies I miss on first try, until I get it. Does the score only count first tries?

Alternately, maybe my metronome timing is not accurate enough, though I get the 'boink' sound when I have pressed all the correct notes in sequence. Then I go onto the next. So I eventually get all the melodies correct, but not usually on first try.

Regards, William Croft

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 18, 2020 4:19 am

Yes, only your first attempt counts in the score summation, but you still get retries for pedagogical purposes.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -