Questions from a bass player

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

BigKen
Ear training apprentice

Questions from a bass player

Post by BigKen » Jul 31, 2005 9:24 pm

I downloaded your free demo/trial and I've enjoyed using it a great deal. Being a bass player it's nice to have a program like this that I can actually use with a bass/bass tuning. My question is what differences or upgrades ratehr are there is I actually purchase the program? It seems that the demo is missing some things. Thank you very much.

I just remembered a "for instance". I was using "scale Identification". Even though I'm using the 4 string bass guitar tuned EADG, all the notes are coming up on the Stave next to the Treble Clef, rather than the lower stave where the Bass Clef is?

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Aug 01, 2005 2:07 am

The trial version and the full version is exactly the same program. The only difference is the time limit in the trial version.

You can choose what clef to use in the exercises. Just go to the "Exercise settings" menu and change the "Clef" setting.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

BigKen
Ear training apprentice

Still not right....

Post by BigKen » Aug 01, 2005 8:48 am

Thank you. I did that now, BUT... (always a but), I have it set up to use only the bass clef, the problem is that when the excercise starts it stills plays the scale on the higher stave by putting lines above my Bass Clef stave and playing the scale an octave higher. So while the scale is obviously correct it's not really helping me associate reading the notes on the stave and piecing it all together as far as listening and reading. Do you know what I mean? Thanks.

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » Aug 01, 2005 11:23 am

If you use "Customized exercise" then you can configure the pitch area for the questions. In the tutors, the pitch area is defined to be around and above the middle C and cannot be changed.

However, if you use the bass tablature alone, the notation of the question on the tablature is automatically transposed one or more octaves so it fits the range of the bass. However the actual question is not transposed, which is what you see on the staff.

I agree, it would be great if the questions in the tutors were automatically transposed down when using the Bass. That would make the tutors more usefull for bass players. We will consider that for a future update.
Until then, you can do everything you want with the Customized exercise.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

BigKen
Ear training apprentice

Post by BigKen » Aug 02, 2005 11:05 am

Thank you Hans. I'm going on vacation for a week this Saturday. When I get back I plan on actually purchasing Earmaster Pro. The program is great, and after seeing how you came here and answered my questions these last few days, well that really showed me that you are a stand up guy who cares about his customers. Thank you.