Metronome Problem in Earmaster 7.0.15.

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Misha
Ear training rookie

Metronome Problem in Earmaster 7.0.15.

Post by Misha » Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Hello,

This issue applies to Earmaster 7.0.15 for Mac OSX. In Customized Exercises, it is not possible to turn off the metronome for either Melodic Sight-Singing or Melodic Singback. Neither selecting “Pitch Only” nor turning off “Play Metronome during Question” will stop the metronome’s incessant ticking.

Since some of us like to practice singing notes without feeling pressured for time, the inability to switch off the metronome/rhythm feature in these customized exercises is quite annoying. I don’t believe it was intended to work this way - especially since it IS possible to switch it off in the customized version of Melodic Dictation. I am hoping, therefore, that this issue will be fixed in the next update of EarMaster.

Thank you,
Misha.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Metronome Problem in Earmaster 7.0.15.

Post by Quentin » Jul 03, 2018 1:58 am

Hello Misha,

For Sight-Singing, the "Play metronome during question" option is used for the "Play question" button, after you have answered.

For Melody Sing-back, the option is only active when melodies include rhythmic values.

Notice that EarMaster will always play metronome sounds when you are answering questions in exercises based on real-time voice input. Without metronome, EarMaster would need to incorporate real-time dynamic tempo detection so that it bases its timing on your performance, which even software that cost thousands of dollars don't do.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Misha
Ear training rookie

Post by Misha » Jul 03, 2018 10:13 am

Thank you Quentin, for the prompt reply. Since I just started the Melodic Singing exercises, I had wanted to focus on the pitch only without having to worry about keeping time. Based upon what you wrote, however, I suppose the only options are to change the attack or the tempo of the metronome if it's too loud or fast.

Kind regards,
Misha.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 04, 2018 12:05 am

Hi Misha,

Yes, you can indeed lower the attack of the metronome in EarMaster's preferences to make it less dominant.

The tempo setting is fixed for lessons in the Beginner's cours,e general workshops, jazz workshops and RCM Voice 1-6 becasue it's a part of the pedagogical progression, but you are free to change it for each question/example. However in Customized Exercise mode, you can define a tempo for the customized exercise.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -