Melody singback bug?

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

almost_tone_deaf
Ear training apprentice

Melody singback bug?

Post by almost_tone_deaf » Aug 19, 2021 1:44 pm

After the first couple questions in Melody Singback section of General Workshops mic input becomes out of sync with the metronome which makes exercises impossible to complete. In other words the software mismatches my voice with the click even though I'm singing the notes in time.

This is absolutely infuriating and super disappointing. This feature worked just fine for a long time. Maybe some kind of a bug was introduced in one of the updates? Or maybe it's a matter of my settings?

I'm providing three screenshots, the first shows the exercise window with the voice out of sync with the click, the second and third show my setting.

Can someone please help me?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Melody singback bug?

Post by Quentin » Sep 03, 2021 1:02 am

It's hard to tell from your screenshot why this is happening, but it looks indeed that your voice is out of sync with question.

The only way we can understand what is going on would be to see a video of the problem where the exercise starts functioning as planned and then goes out of sync. That way, we would have all we need to try to reproduce the error on our computers and fix it if we find one.

You can send the video by email or post a link here. I'm sure we'll find a solution.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

almost_tone_deaf
Ear training apprentice

Post by almost_tone_deaf » Sep 24, 2021 4:45 am

Quentin, thank you for your answer and concern, I really appreciate it. I really enjoy your software.

There is however not much point in me trying to capture the issue on a video. There is nothing more to it from visual side of things than I have already showed you in the first screenshot attached to the first post in this topic: the first two question went fine, the third one showed in the results page that I was out of sync with the click, even though I was singing in time. After the first out of sync result the excercise becomes impossible to complete, the bug is persistent.

In other words during the exercise, when I reapeat the notes along with the click, there is no visual showing that something is not right. Only the results page gives me feedback with scoring corrupted by this bug.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Sep 28, 2021 11:13 pm

It looks from your screenshot that sound is detected long before the first beat. I need the video to determine whether it is your voice or the metronome or something else. The pitch algorithm is doing its job fine from the look of it, the problem is that it is expecting other notes because everything is out of sync, so it's counting everything as wrong.

Please send a video showing a couple of melodies being sung back so that we may determine what the problem is and how it can be solved.

almost_tone_deaf
Ear training apprentice

Post by almost_tone_deaf » Oct 04, 2021 2:44 pm

I've sent you guys a message through your support form with a link to the video showing this bug in action. Please be warned that for almost two minutes you will have to endure my "singing" attempts.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 05, 2021 4:11 am

Thanks a lot. I tried to reproduce the problem on my PC, but no luck: https://youtu.be/eVhfoxfyQcI

I have forwarded your mail with video to the development team, maybe they have an idea about what could be the cause of the problem you are encountering.