Melody reading.

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

jomero01
Ear training freshman

Melody reading.

Post by jomero01 » Dec 26, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been evaluating EarMaster 5 and in general I consider the creators have made an excellent job. Nevertheless, I still cannot believe this product does not have 'Melody Reading' excercise type.

It has an excellent rhythm recognition and and Melody Recognition excercise type as well.

How is it possible that Melodic Reading (rhythm and melody together) is missing?. I think it is the most valuable feature the product could have offered and it has already the basic elements to do it.

Please get on my shooes for a moment. I am trying to learn play the flute by reading music. Therefore, I expect from the software is it to show me a small melody and then to recognize if I played it right. But the product limited this capacity to recognizing only intervals or loose played notes.

I hope it is because it is only available in the full version or maybe I did not find the right configuration.

Please let me know if I am wrong. I really hope I am.

Jose Mejia

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 02, 2008 7:55 am

Hi Jose,
no, there isn't any exercise for melody reading yet. it is also not really ear training, but we have thought of adding it.
The problem is that the audio recognition tool (with microphone) is still limited when it comes to tones, so the exercise would probably be only available with a MIDI instrument. The microphone needs a little time to recognize each tone, so the evaluation of a melody would not be precise enough. We have to develop a more dynamic audio recognition environment before we can add such an exercise. :-)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Mickets
Ear training freshman

Post by Mickets » Mar 14, 2008 4:12 pm

My suggestion for Melody Reading:

1. Get a copy of a book like The Real Book, or The Real Book of Jazz, or The New Real Book. There you will find sheet music with melodies of popular songs, like As Time Goes By, etc.

2. Download and install Band in a Box, demo version.

3. Search with e-mule for Band in a Box files of the sheet music of one of the books mentioned above.

In Band in a Box you can play the songs, and even change the key. Then you read the song in the book, and play together. Or play and then listen, or whatever.

I started doing that last week, and it really helps. You will know when you make a mistake, and will also feel good when you do it all right.

Mickets

tedclaymore
Ear training buff

Post by tedclaymore » Apr 19, 2008 1:04 pm

Even if it's only effective for MIDI instruments, including melody reading, and (even better for an ear training program) melody echo (play back what you just heard) would be worthwhile.

Granted not everyone could benefit, but these more than just keyboards have MIDI controllers available (guitars, winds), so those who do have such a controller could gain a great benefit.