intervals...

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

mpok8
Ear training rookie

intervals...

Post by mpok8 » Jan 01, 2011 1:39 am

I'm on the trial period at the moment and I want to start by learning relative pitch. I'm finding it difficult to get past lesson 8. It feels like I am guessing the answers whenever I get them right. And with the harmonics I cannot hear the distance at all... I've always believed that I am tone deaf and I thought maybe I could overcome my inability with pratice... however, it just feels like i am making no progress... i don't really know what I am supposed to be listening for. I will keep going for now but I'm just not sure this program will help someone like me... is there anyone out there who has had similar problems? Any advice?

medownes
Ear training apprentice

Post by medownes » Jan 01, 2011 7:55 am

Is that lesson 8 of the Interval Comparison set of exercises?

If so, the second note of each interval is the same note so if at first you just concentrate on listening to the first note of each interval, you might be better able to tell which note has the higher pitch.

Play the clips over and over again until you are certain which one has the higher pitch and then choose it as it will be the greater interval.

Good luck and happy new year!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 03, 2011 1:48 am

Hi, and happy new year!
Medownes' advice is good. When you know the root tone (the bass) is the same, focus on the higher pitch, and try to remember how that interval sound as a whole. It is also very important to hear both intervals again after you answered so that you can "imprint" the sound of it with its name in your head.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

mpok8
Ear training rookie

Post by mpok8 » Jan 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi, thanks for the advice. I managed to get past that exercise by doing as you suggested: listening for the higher pitch harmony. However, now I have come to exercise 13 and there is no longer a common root.... again I am back to guessing which harmony is the widest.... is there any advice on what I should be listening for as I just can't seem to get it right and keep getting sent back to lesson 12....
thanks

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 05, 2011 1:12 am

Hi,
Check that thread out: http://www.earmaster.com/community/view ... ght=lesson

One user is having difficulties to get past the same lesson, and he made a compilation of all the advice he found on the forum.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -