Match a note by singing

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

neiljones
Ear training rookie

Match a note by singing

Post by neiljones » Mar 22, 2011 7:50 am

I bought this to help my daughter sing. I want Earmaster to play a tone, shown on the stave, and for her to try to match it by singing the same note back. I think this is possible with this program, but can't figure out the steps. I am using a Mac with built in microphone and have set up the microphone to work correctly. I can not see how to get the program to play the note and register her returning sung note. Please help.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 22, 2011 7:58 am

Your daughter can train pitch imitation/playback with the melodic dictation exercise in customized mode, but the tone won't be shown on the satff before she starts singing because it is orginally a dictation exercise and it wouldn't make sense to display the first tone out ofone tone :-) .

In the exercise setup window, choose to only have 1 note played, decide which scale the note will come from, specify the tone range under "Key and Root Movement>Advanced>Edit...", and click OK.

Remember also to activate Microphone Input as answering method (from the corresponding menu at the top of the screen or by clicking the microphone icon at the bottom right of the window).

N.B.: For satisfying results, you should not leave the microphone tuning wizard before the microphone has been set up correctly and shows the correct tones (TOOLS>MICROPHONE TUNING WIZARD).
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

neiljones
Ear training rookie

Working?

Post by neiljones » Mar 22, 2011 8:35 am

Right, I seem to have it working, sort of.

The question plays, She sings the note. I play the question and I play her answer - they match on the stave and keyboard. But when I choose Show the right answer I get a big red XNot correct-the correct answer is "Unison".

But it was meant to be in unison. Why is it marked as wrong?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 22, 2011 9:04 am

It seems you are using the interval singing exercise. The setup I described was for the Melodic Dictation exercise, as you wanted to only have one tone to be sung.

With the interval singing exercise, you always have to sing to tones.

neiljones
Ear training rookie

Thanks

Post by neiljones » Mar 22, 2011 9:45 am

I have it working now, thanks.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 23, 2011 1:37 am

Sounds good :-). Please feel welcome to write again in the forum if you have more question.