Descending 6ths are driving me INSANE!

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

yo
Ear training freshman

Descending 6ths are driving me INSANE!

Post by yo » Jan 31, 2012 1:36 am

My goal is to get 93% correct on all lessons.
Everything has been going smoothy until I got to the interval identification of descending minor vs major 6ths. Answered 300 questions on a custom exercise, just trying to tell one from the other. I can get it maybe 90% of the time, but the 93% goal is starting to look like Mount Everest...!!

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Feb 01, 2012 4:56 am

I think you're on the right track with the custom exercise, and doing a hundred or more at a time. It may take several sessions a week for a few weeks.

If you can learn to sing the intervals, that will pretty much solve the recognition problem.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 01, 2012 5:42 am

I completely agree with Saxmaam on learning to sing the intervals. It really is the most efficient way to internalize them. Sing the intervals before answering, check the answer, listen to the correct one if you didn't get it right, and sing it back. That should help a lot. :-)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Arpeggio
Ear training enthusiast

Post by Arpeggio » Feb 07, 2012 3:39 am

Major 6th is starting notes of Frank Sinatra's "My way" lyrics: and (Root) noooow (6th)

minor 6th is Love story where (m6th) do I (Root) begin (m6th).

So love story is good for descending m6 as it starts with one, while my way just reverse it in your head I suppose. They work for me.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 07, 2012 4:11 am

We also have made a comprehensive list of songs available at www.earmaster.com/intervalsongs/
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -