How to study?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

friscmanseby
Ear training rookie

How to study?

Post by friscmanseby » Dec 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi everyone, I've got a question for all of You: how it's better to study? Multiple topics per day (for example: one lesson of Chords Recognition, one lesson of Intervals, one lesson of Melodic Dictation a day) or just one topic per day (for example one day one Chord, one day of Melodica Dictation and so on)? Thanks to everyone :)

KostaC
Ear training master

Post by KostaC » Jan 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Hello,

Dependly of where you are at, my suggestion would be to first master the intervals because everything that comes after is built with intervals. Interval comparison is the first step towards that goal. If you already can identify intervals, you don't need to practice interval comparison anymore. After you master interval ID very fluently, all the rest of the exercises you can do simultaneously.

Also, very important is when you make a mistake to take a minute listening the wrong answer and listening the right answer - comparing them. Because that's where ear training is happening.

friscmanseby
Ear training rookie

Post by friscmanseby » Jan 09, 2013 9:42 am

So, at first the intervals and then on the interval you should build all the chords, dictation ecc... Ok, so I'll try to focalize on intervals. Thanks for the answer :)

KostaC
Ear training master

Post by KostaC » Jan 09, 2013 9:49 am

That's my logic, you're welcome :)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am

KostaC's advice is definitely useful. Intervals are the best starting point.
In the manual of EM6, you'll fidn the following suggestion:

Which activity to choose or prioritize is very subjective and depends mostly on your current skills, needs and training plan. However, if you really don't know where to start, we could suggest the following:

1.Beginners could choose the Interval Comparison and Rhythm imitation activities as a starting point.

2.After having completed a number of lessons in those activities, you could also include the Interval identification, Melody imitation and Rhythmic Sight-Reading.

3.Later on, you could also include Chord Identification, Scale Identification and Rhythmic Dictation.

4.Finally, include the remaining activities to your training routines.

- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -