Suggestion for an ideal chord progression activity

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

KostaC
Ear training master

Suggestion for an ideal chord progression activity

Post by KostaC » Feb 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Dear EarMaster team,

I felt need to suggest you an idea to implement that will help stretch people's ears when it comes to chord progression. So far, we had pre-defined answer for a chord progression that we must choose. Eg: IV-I or V-I or IV-V-I etc...which helps the student a lot in choosing the answer but doesn't help him to listen deeply. For example: we have an example with 3 complex chord progressions and two answer choice. The two examples are completely different and the first one finishes in major, the other one finishes in minor. Now, the student doesn't have to listen the whole example in order to give the correct answer. All he has to do is listen if it finishes with major its the first answer and if it finishes in minor it's the second answer.

What if you separate the answer that has to be given by entering IV then V then I. Not just a single button that tells IV-V-I, so the student must click 2 or 3 or more times (depending of the number of chords) to give the correct answer as well as telling the inversion of each chord. This way, we escape from pre-defined chord progresiion patterns and we open a door for practicing custom chord progression that EM will generate.

Now you may say that i can make a custom chord progressions of my own and practice, but again - we're still stuck in that pattern. I hope you understand what i mean.

martijn
EarMaster.com

Post by martijn » Feb 11, 2013 8:16 am

I agree with you completely, that splitting up the user answer into its components (and without the multiple choice buttons) enforces a deeper listening.

The good news is that what you propose here, can be done already.
Go to the custom chord progressions exercise and start it.
You should choose the custom chord progression exercise because it allows you to switch off the multiple choice instrument.

Now you go to "Answer Input" and switch on the solfege keyboard instrument. This contains the roman numeral chords that you can enter at every element of the progression.

You will also see another set of buttons: The chord quality buttons. With these you can determine the type of chord for every chord progression element.
Martijn

KostaC
Ear training master

Post by KostaC » Feb 11, 2013 8:49 am

I must say, i didn't knew about this. You already knew about the problem and solved it, thank you vey much.

My future suggestion will be EM to generate random chord progressions and if choosed inversions to be able to tell the inversion.

Thanks.