problem with jazz melodic dications

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Juliebayot
Ear training apprentice

problem with jazz melodic dications

Post by Juliebayot » Jul 19, 2013 2:45 am

Hello,
I’ve bought Earmaster Pro 6 today (essentially for the jazz melodic dictation part)
Unfortunately I have few problems
1)Soon as the exercise start, the virtual piano is taking a C for a D, D for a E… (always one step higher)
2) If i want to write a note it doesn’t work, I need to press almost 20 times to write something down

Do you know those problems?
Is there another (complete not a demo) Jazz version in the previous Earmaster ?
I don’t hide you that this program is really really important for me: I study music in the conservatorium and in Augustus I have my second session for jazz eartraining  :-( :-( :-( :-( 

Thank you for your attention and your help

Julie

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: problem with jazz melodic dications

Post by Quentin » Jul 22, 2013 6:03 am

Hello Julie,

The dictations use the movable-do solfege system by default (also called Tonic Sol-Fa). So if you are in the key of D, Do will be a D, not C.
If you would rather use fixed-do solfege (where Do is always C) or the regular Anglo-saxon system with C, D, E, go to the Exercise Settings menu, find the Tone Naming setting and select the one of your choice. This setting is set separately for each activity, so that you can combine different tone naming depending on which exercise you are in.

For your other question, notice that to input notes, you must click in the yellow/orange highlight box on the staff. Clicking outside of it will move that highlighted input area but will not input notes. If that was not the problem, please make sure you have the latest update of EarMaster (HELP menu on WIndows or EarMaster Pro menu on Mac, then "Check for updates...").
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -