Result calculations

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

dbrown100
Ear training buff

Result calculations

Post by dbrown100 » Nov 26, 2013 1:49 pm

I am currently using a Tutor of my own creation, and have only two areas I'm concentrating on. Since many of my students were upgrading to ver. 6 from ver. 5, my students were have some difficulty sending me back their results. So, at EarMaster's suggestion, I had them print out and hand in their results until everyone got their systems up and running. I've noticed that many of my students work beyond what I have asked them for in the tutor, and it looks as though EarMaster calculates their results from the total number of questions they have answered instead of calculating the results from just the questions in the tutor. For example, in Interval Comparison, I have 50 questions, and in interval Singing I have 25 questions. If a student works on 40 questions in Interval Singing, does EarMaster calculate the total number of questions answered by the student, or just what my Tutor has asked them to do? And is there a way to have
EarMaster stop at the end of the number of questions I am requiring them to do? I have suggested that if they want to continue working in EarMaster, that they go to the standard tutor and practice with those questions. In version 5 my students were sending me their files via email, and I didn't seem to have this issue. This certainly could be operator error on my part, as far as the way I set up my Tutor, but it seemed to work the same way I set up the files for ver. 5, so I figured I was fine. I am having them send there files to me again via email, but some of their files end with .emz and others have my Tutor with the ear logo. Not every file with the ear logo has information in it, and some of the .emz files have info and others do not. This is part of why I am having them print out their files and hand those in, but again, the results don't seem to be accurate as far as the number of questions I need answered. Any thoughts?

David

Hans
EarMaster.com

Re: Result calculations

Post by Hans » Nov 28, 2013 12:11 am

The number of questions in a lesson is controlled by two different settings: "Questions" and "Supplemental questions".
The "Questions" is the minimum required questions to answer for this lesson,
while the "Supplemental questions" are extra questions that can be asked if the total result was not high enough
You can read more about it in the online help in EarMaster, but if you want to control the number of questions like you did in EarMaster 5, simply set "Supplemental questions" to 0.

For import and export the file must have the extension .emz
If the students send files with the .zip extension, please ask them to use the "Check for update" function in EarMaster to get the latest version of EarMaster 6.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster

dbrown100
Ear training buff

Re: Result calculations

Post by dbrown100 » Dec 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks so much!

David