Using Earmaster to get started in Solfege

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Manul
Ear training enthusiast

Using Earmaster to get started in Solfege

Postby Manul » Aug 07, 2015 2:24 am

Hi all,

I think I saw a post (probably by Quentin) earlier in this forum explaining how to best use Earmaster to get started with Solfege. However, I can't find it anymore - can anybody point me there or give me some hints to get me started?

On a more general note, since I've never ventured into Solfege before: Any hints for good (online) resources about the best way to get started and generally what the benefits of Solfege are?

Thanks in advance!

Manuel

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Using Earmaster to get started in Solfege

Postby Quentin » Sep 01, 2015 3:47 am

Hi Manuel,

The lessons included in the Standard Course of EarMaster Pro 6 for the Interval Singing activity are actually a sort of introduction to singing notes using solfege syllables. :)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

elmerbcanales
Ear training apprentice

Re: Using Earmaster to get started in Solfege

Postby elmerbcanales » May 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Benefits of learning musical notation with solfege syllables:
It is important to understand that musicianship involves not only playing, but also vocal and auditory apparatus involved with playing.
With Solfege syllables the student first sings music in his/her mind and then plays the music. Meaning, the students learn to connect the notes they see with the music they will play on the piano. Letter notes, such as A,B,C are completely non-musical because they are not singable, unnatural and awkward.

• Reading music with solfege syllable is easier because of the natural process of hearing music first in the mind by looking at the score and then reproducing what is seen in the music into playing.
• Solfege syllables help students with composing. Hearing music in one’s mind, remembering it and then writing notation –is the process used when composing music.
• Most importantly reading notes with solfege syllables will help the student develop a perfect pitch. This is the most important musical skill that teaches a particular note with it’s name, connecting it to a hearing brain, voice and then playing.