Unorganised topics

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Bojan
Ear training grand master

Unorganised topics

Post by Bojan » Jul 13, 2006 7:48 am

I just think that the organisation of the whole topics is bad, because you have to look at 10 different places just to find an answer to such a simply question like: Mac version?

There should be just one topic for every subject there is, not hundreds of them, so you can't get the big picture easily. For instance, there should be one topic for Mac version, one topic for PPC version of EarMaster, one for comments on new interface, one for feature requests..., but certainly not like this, you can't find your way around. Get my point?
Official Serbian translator

Waigin

Post by Waigin » Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm

I agree, with a moderator, he can fix that and merge the topics together

runner

Post by runner » Jul 14, 2006 5:24 am

You are right Bojan, but forums rarely work that way. Many people don't take the time to search the forum they are using and they don't read FAQs either. There is nothing to do about it. People don't easily change, and complaining about it is just a waste of time.

I don't think you can merge topics as a moderator. You can split topics and that is about it.

Waigin

Post by Waigin » Jul 14, 2006 10:04 am

It`s possible to merge, split, moved topics. On another site (2 sites) I go, the team do it.

We will always find people that doesn`t search a topic and post a new one, and I see that more often when people are guest than members

Bojan

Unorganised topics

Post by Bojan » Jul 16, 2006 12:16 pm

This is what should be done (probably by webmaster): to make a topic named "Mac version", or similar, where all user can find all the possible information about versions of EarMaster meant for other operating systems, experience of other users using some emulator, and some tips, then another topic named: "Feature suggestions", one single place for all users to suggest improvements, and where everyone can find what others have already suggested, so they don’t repeat it, and also find out what EarMaster already plans for next version of the program, one topic called: "Trouble with the program", a topic dedicated specially for bad experience with EarMaster and where everybody could find advices how to work with the program. Finally, all topics should be categorized, to help find information more easily.

Waigin

Post by Waigin » Jul 18, 2006 7:18 pm

That will help but still some poeple will continue to post without searching, maybe less and with moderators, this will go lower too.

That's a good idea tat you had Bojan

Bojan

Unorganized topics

Post by Bojan » Jul 19, 2006 11:52 am

The solution is to lock the main categorized topics, so people will only be able to post inside these main topics, and everything will be easy to find, and there wont be too much of crap.

Webmaster
EarMaster.com

Post by Webmaster » Sep 18, 2006 5:20 am

I agree that it could be helpful to make more discussion groups. The two groups we have now (General discussion and Support) are very broad and it might be easier to find answers if we had more groups.
Looking through some of the topics i suggest the following groups instead:

Ear training
Suggestions for new features
Questions about using EarMaster
Languages and translation
Other Operating systems (Mac, etc)
General discussion

Any comments? - will all topics be covered by those groups - and will it be easy enough to find answers to the most common questions?

:music:

Waigin

Post by Waigin » Sep 18, 2006 2:04 pm

I think it's a good idea :laugh3:

Vendor

Post by Vendor » Sep 20, 2006 6:39 am

Ear training
Suggestions for new features
Questions about using EarMaster
Languages and translation
Other Operating systems (Mac, etc)
General discussion
I see your point, but one could say it's a bit overkill with a dedicated forum for Other Operation systems (Mac, etc) essentially because once every 1-2 months someone is posting a mac questions with his eyes closed.

I would expect forum idea 1, 4, 5, 6 to be pretty low volume with the current activity hereso unless more people start posting more, I would say that 4 new forums are a bit to many... :frogg:

:axe:

Bojan

Unorganised topics

Post by Bojan » Sep 23, 2006 7:12 am

Sorry, when I said topic I ment forum (but you got my point anyway), but now i see it should be an underforum, it would be stupid to make couple of main forums, it would be too large for users. The best example of how this what I have in mind should look like can be found on Elite Security Forums. (On Serbian, but you just have to see the organisation, it is the best organisation of a forum that i ever have seen.) You have cathegorised main forums, in which you can find their corresponding subforums, and placing the mouse over any topic gives a small pop-up window with the description of the contents, or first few lines of a user posting. EarMaster should really consider this kind of organisation for their Community, it would make their forum so easy to navigate. Here is a suggestion: Divide the present existing forums into subforums, give each one of them short description and very characteristic titles, such as:

Sugestions for new features (or Wish list)
Questions about musical theory
Trouble with the use of EarMaster
Other operating systems (Mac, Linux...)