Does Earmaster 5 run on MacOS Sierra?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

kirkdickinson
Ear training rookie

Does Earmaster 5 run on MacOS Sierra?

Post by kirkdickinson » Oct 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Does Earmaster 5 run on MacOS Sierra? I haven't used my Earmaster in a long time and decided to work on it again and in the meantime, I have updated my Macbook Pro to the neweset MacOS version. I get a crash every time I open the program. I can send the error code.

Thanks,

Kirk

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Does Earmaster 5 run on MacOS Sierra?

Post by Quentin » Oct 28, 2016 3:40 am

Hi Kirk,

EarMaster 5 was officially supported until 10.6. However, we did check that it runs on 10.12 Sierra, and there doesn't seem to be any problem. If you upgraded your OS, perhaps some files have become corrupted. Try to find the file "Setting.da5" on your hard disk (simply do a search with spotlight) and delete it. Then restart EarMaster to see if that solved the issue.

If that didn't do the trick, try to delete all the files from the Data folder (notice that this will erase all your results though).
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

ericb
Ear training rookie

Post by ericb » Nov 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi I seem to have the same problem. I tried deleting files as suggested but no effect. Any ideas?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 15, 2016 3:30 am

Hi,

Try to delete all EarMaster folders and files in Users/Shared/, delete the App and re-install it from scratch. If you have lost the installer, you can get it back together with your s/n on this page: https://www.earmaster.com/support/seria ... overy.html

ericb
Ear training rookie

Post by ericb » Nov 15, 2016 5:47 am

Hi thxs for the suggestion unfortunately it didn't help.
Still crashes upon startup...

Rgds Eric

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 15, 2016 6:31 am

Hi,

Can you send the crash report to support@earmaster.com so that we try to find out what is wrong?

dreamine
Ear training freshman

Post by dreamine » Nov 27, 2016 7:44 am

Hello Quentin,

Have the same problem than said above. Did Earmaster pro engineers found what might be the reasons of these continuous crashes? It's totally impossible to use the software. It's installed on mac Os Sierra, you can open it, select your exercises, but it only hold 25 seconds. After that the software crashes. What do we need to do ?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 28, 2016 4:47 am

Hi,

Since we still can't reproduce that problem on our own Mac running 10.12, we need your crash reports to find out what is causing the problem. We haven't received any crash report yet, so we're still at square one.

Something else that will help a lot is a short video showing the crash, from starting the program to the actual crash. There might be small clues in a video that will help us understand the problem and pinpoint what excatly is causing it.

Asterix
Ear training freshman

Post by Asterix » Dec 08, 2016 11:12 am

Hello,

I have that problem too. EarMaster crashes after 2 seconds after launch. Earmaster does crash on Guest user too, but not in Safe Mode.

I have a crash report, I even have a dozen of them! But I failed to upload it as an attachment to this post, the answer is: 'The file extension is not correct" I tried with a Word document (.docx) and a PDF (.pdf) file without success.

Many many thanks to look into this matter!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 15, 2016 3:19 am

Hi,
You can just copy/paste the text in the crash report, or send it to support@earmaster.com

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Dec 16, 2016 7:43 am

We have some (bad) news on this: unfortunately, even though version 5 seemed to work with the first versions of 10.12 - though not offcially supported -, a recent update of the OS seems to have broken compatibility.

EarMaster 5 was replaced by EarMaster 6 in December 2011, so it is not being updated any longer. Possible solutions to this are to create a partition running one of the supported OS for version 5 (see: https://www.earmaster.com/downloads/pre ... sions.html), or to upgrade to the currently supported version of EarMaster (version 6.2).