Imitation exercises on an instrument

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

murmichel
Ear training apprentice

Imitation exercises on an instrument

Post by murmichel » Aug 06, 2017 9:54 am

I'm just starting out with EarMaster (on iPad) and right now I'm a bit annoyed by the melodic imitation exercises.

I'm doing these exercises on a MIDI keyboard, I'm not singing into a microphone. For rhythmic stuff this works just fine, for single notes/intervals/melodies it doesn't. I'm lacking a reference. When I try to imitate an interval or a melody, I simply don't know where to start.

How is this supposed to work? If these exercises are not meant to be done on a keyboard and are only for singing, you ought to say so somewhere in *bold*. Otherwise it would be very helpful to mark the starting tone on the virtual keyboard.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Imitation exercises on an instrument

Post by Quentin » Aug 07, 2017 1:51 am

Hi,

Thank you for your input. The exercises are meant primarily for singing, but can be used with instruments as well, either with a MIDI Keyboard like you are doing, or by playing notes in front of a mic. It is indeed very difficult to find the first note without a reference note, so we should probably give it out visually. I will notify the development team about that.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

murmichel
Ear training apprentice

Re: Imitation exercises on an instrument

Post by murmichel » Aug 07, 2017 4:33 am

Thanks for that.

As I said, I'm still new here. It's good to see you are listening.