Scale recognition

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

sublimesublima
Ear training apprentice

Scale recognition

Post by sublimesublima » Feb 08, 2018 2:06 am

This might not be the right forum to ask this question, I am not sure. I am doing scale recognition exercises and am having a hard time. With the notes played randomly, I really cannot tell the difference between, for instance, a c major and an f Lydian. Same notes of course we all know that, but how does one tell that it is Lydian and not major. F Lydian sounds like c major to my ears. Played in order starting from the root, no problem, played randomly, problem. Can anyone point me to an answer, either here or an external link, book, something.
Thanks
Sublime

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Scale recognition

Post by Quentin » Feb 08, 2018 3:09 am

The fourth step is raised a half tone in F Lydian compared to a C Major scale, so it gives a completely new flavor to the scale. If you use multiple choice buttons, you an right-click on them to audition both possibilities and compare them before answering. EarMaster will play them with each step in the same order so it will be easy to make a comparison between both scales.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -