From v6 to v7

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Nicovrt
Ear training rookie

From v6 to v7

Post by Nicovrt » Sep 10, 2018 8:37 am

I used version 6 for some years ago in a very intense way, and mostly for rhythm sight reading. It had a long list of chapters with rhythm patterns that should be studied one after another. I loved that, it worked well, and I learnt a lot.
I have now installed version 7. For studying rhythm this is a huge step backward. I cannot find here that same list of chapters with rhythm patterns to study. It seems to be spread in a haphazard way in several places.
If I go to customized exercises, rhythm sight reading, I get exercises which seem random. I want to go back to a certain level, but that seems impossible. I have the impression that v7 has ruined the rhythm studying possibilities that existed in v6. I may be very negative now, but, I just don't find what I used to have. Why fuck something up that was so good before ? Maybe I need to spend a lot of time reading before I can finally figure it out. In version 6 I did no reading of manuals. Everything was intuitive, and I could use it immediately and did so for a long time. Version 7 is much more beautiful, but I am not interested in beauty. I want a correctly-working, intuive and logically organized rhythm sightreading section. V7 has none of these three....
And a technical problem: for rhythm sightreading the program does not recognize hand clapping, nor tapping (with a coin on the table :) ). The microphone is working (works in singing exercises, and in the settings), but for rhythm, it does not record.
How did this get past the testing phase ??????

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: From v6 to v7

Post by Quentin » Sep 12, 2018 2:27 am

Hi,

I have some very good news for you. All the great rhythm lessons of EarMaster 6 are also available in EarMaster 7. I think you may have overseen the view switcher at the bottom of the screen when you select a workshop. When you select a workshop, you will see at the bottom of the screen the current lesson that you have reached. If you click on that, the view will change into a complete list of the lessons available for the selected workshop, nicely laid out (in a much more comfortable way than in v6 btw). As I mentioned in reply to your other post, nothing has been removed form v6 except for mic input in rhythm exercises. We have only added things, or re-arranged them.

One thing that might require a little time is losing your old reflexes and getting used to how things are laid out in EarMaster 7. We have spent hundreds of hours re-thinking the whole structure of the software. And without removing anything, we have put things at more logical places, or found easier workflows for them. And then we added more features without making the software more complicated than necessary.

The 2 major changes I can think of is the way the welcome screen is laid out (which was the problem you mentioned), and the Exercise Options (formerly "Exercise Settings"). They used to be in a menu at the top of the screen. Now they are in a side panel at the right side of the screen. TO open it, click on the burger-shaped icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: From v6 to v7

Post by Quentin » Sep 12, 2018 2:31 am

Notice that most screens in version 7 feature an icon shaped like a question mark. If you are in doubt of anything, click on it to obtain explanations about all the things that are displayed on the screen. It's a very handy feature the first few times you are using the new version.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -