Not Correct!

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

firefly9000
Ear training rookie

Not Correct!

Post by firefly9000 » Jan 30, 2020 4:23 pm

:shock:
How is this possible with an app that teaches music?
[attachment=0]earmaster.png[/attachment]

E to Gb is NOT a major second.

I mean I get it the number of semitones in between is the same but this is highly incorrect.

It may seem trivial but teaching people in this way will lead to issues when they will go on to learning music theory.

The app is very good and I'm recommending it to a lot of my students but please fix such issues.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Not Correct!

Post by Quentin » Jan 31, 2020 8:33 am

Hello,

This can only happen if the user has entered the answers with the wrong notation (using the wrong alterations). If you use multiple-choice buttons (i.e. leave the notation up to EarMaster), then EarMaster will never notate a M2 from E that way.

In the past, EarMaster would write something like "Correct, but the notation was wrong", but that was apparently misunderstood by many users. So it will however accept the answer as correct even if it's notated wrongly, like in your example, as long as the sound is correct.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

firefly9000
Ear training rookie

Post by firefly9000 » Jan 31, 2020 10:43 am

Quentin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This can only happen if the user has entered the answers with the wrong
> notation (using the wrong alterations). If you use multiple-choice buttons
> (i.e. leave the notation up to EarMaster), then EarMaster will never notate
> a M2 from E that way.
>
> In the past, EarMaster would write something like "Correct, but the
> notation was wrong", but that was apparently misunderstood by many
> users. So it will however accept the answer as correct even if it's notated
> wrongly, like in your example, as long as the sound is correct.

Update: I cannot upload images here for some reason. So here are the links to both cases I described below
https://ibb.co/tYtMZk3
https://ibb.co/RjTjyc7

Thank you for the reply. However this does not really address the issue.

My mistake for not being more detailed.

This happens when the student SINGS the interval. So they are not entering the interval manually but rather the computer is entering it for them. As such, this is an error on the part of the program.

See new attachment where E to Gb (down) is a minor 7th.

However in the above example, the number of semitones between the notes is the same. So E to Gb is the same distance in semitones as E to F#.

But in the next example it's much worse. Unison, the SAME NOTE gets listed as a minor second.

Or A - A (same note - unison) is listed as a "minor second" :shock:

It doesn't always happen but it does happen from time to time and it would be a good idea to remedy it.

Edit: I cannot upload the screenshots.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 03, 2020 6:00 am

Hello,

We are looking into the issue linked with your m7 example. It looks like this could happen in some situations when the user sings the interval, and this must of course be fixed right away.

As for the second issue with unison, it can only happen if an alteration button is pressed while singing a unisson. However, the aim of the exercise is to sing a minor 2nd, so under normal use it would not happen at all. I think the main problem here is that the program should not display the toolbar with alterations when microphone input is in use, as they are not supposed to be used together.

ABout the image link: we have disabled BB code as a prevention against bots and spammers, so it's not possible to add images inline, but it should be possible to add them as attachment.

firefly9000
Ear training rookie

Post by firefly9000 » Feb 04, 2020 8:57 am

Hello Quentin,

Thank you for the reply.

You said: "As for the second issue with unison, it can only happen if an alteration button is pressed while singing a unisson."

Just to clarify: There is no alteration button pressed while singing.

Also note that I was not able to load images via the attachment option, which is why I resorted to links. Attachments could be selected but would never actually load (or get attached) when posting. I tried this on Firefox and Edge.

Anyway, all in all Earmaster is a fantastic software. Congrats for that!

Best regards

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Feb 05, 2020 7:29 am

Thank you for your compliments about EarMaster.

I will try harder to reproduce the issue with the unison. I haven't had luck with that so far (unless I pressed the alteration button, as mentioned earlier), but I'll keep trying. :)