What type of Music do you listen to mostly?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Jazz
37%
Classical
21%
Blues
5%
Rock
18%
Pop
2%
Electronica
5%
Metal
4%
Soundtrack
4%
Folk
4%
Funk
No votes
Soul
No votes
Rap
No votes
R & B
2%

Total votes: 57

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 25, 2007 1:19 am

I know these are very general categories, but I tried to select a wide spectrum :--D
Come with additions if you think they're missing (please no sub-genres).
Last edited by Quentin on Jul 26, 2007 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Bojan
Ear training grand master

Favorite music

Post by Bojan » Jul 25, 2007 4:08 am

I prefer metal and rock, but I couldn't choose both, (progressive metal and progressive rock, to be precise, 'cause there are speed metal, melodic metal, trash metal, death metal, black metal which I don't like, though heavy metal could go). My favorite bands are: Dream Theater, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, Liquid Tension Experiment, Therion, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Kamelot, Nightwish, Children of Bodom Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Toto, Santana, AlogiA, The Cranberries, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dire Straits... They may not all be the same genre, but I wanted to list them anyway. I certainly forgot a few of them, but I listen to more bands than I listed, I think it a shame to limit oneself to just one music genre...

Quentin, you forgot to put funk, rap, R&B, and soul in the list.
Official Serbian translator

mpl
Ear training buff

Re: Favorite music

Post by mpl » Jul 25, 2007 11:26 am

"there are speed metal, melodic metal, trash metal, death metal, black metal which I don't like, though http://www.opeth.com/"

I believe Opeth is death metal (I don't know that band at all though).

I think You really should put "Others" in that list. I would vote for that, I listen to music which is hard to classify. You can call everything Rock, but that's just getting away.

Bojan
Ear training grand master

opeth - progressive death metal?

Post by Bojan » Jul 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Opeth is actually progressive death metal band, they started in Scandinavian death metal, but then started experimenting later on, by incorporating jazz, progressive rock, blues and folk elements to cross the genre borders and fuse their own music style. In that sense, their best experimental album is Blackwater Park, form which you really ought to hear "Dirge for November" and "Patterns in the Ivy 1 and 2".
Official Serbian translator

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 26, 2007 12:28 am

It would be tempting to put an Other category, but I'm afraid too many people would want to vote that because they think their favourite band or musician is very special.
Nothing wrong about that, but like Bojan's example showed, even though Opeth plays some very special kind of Metal, it's still metal.

The same would go with fans of Wagner's Ring, they can't select Opera, but are forced to select a "Frame" genre (here: Classical)

The point is indeed to get an idea of who you are in the big lines. Tortoise is weird but it's still rock... ;-)

mpl
Ear training buff

Post by mpl » Jul 26, 2007 7:10 am

"because they think their favourite band or musician is very special."

True.

"An exotic voyage through remarkably varying music styles, abandoning the rules of European music and going deep into the celestial world of emotion". Oh yes, 2 different styles. Rap/Techno.

The story above is a fiction, but figures...

Michal

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 27, 2007 12:26 am

Rap has been added, and I think it'll prove useless but it's a popular genre so it ought to be mentioned.

Techno falls under the Electronica category, like Ambient, Disco, Jungle, etc...

mpl
Ear training buff

Post by mpl » Jul 27, 2007 12:48 pm

"Rap has been added, and I think it'll prove useless but it's a popular genre so it ought to be mentioned.

Techno falls under the Electronica category, like Ambient, Disco, Jungle, etc... "

I listen to neither, but good to know my post helped.

bumblebee
Ear training enthusiast

Post by bumblebee » Nov 03, 2007 6:32 am

Well, I listen to Jazz mostly, but Classical, Blues and World come a close second, third and fourth. We might see a wider range of musical interests if 1st, 2nd, 3rd votes could be cast. :-)

saxmaam
Ear training jedi

Post by saxmaam » Nov 19, 2007 5:13 am

Jazz. How do you get counted in the survey?

tedclaymore
Ear training buff

Post by tedclaymore » Nov 25, 2008 3:37 pm

ummm....

Let's see.... Here are the ten CDs I've listened to most recently (and I am not making this up):

Strictly Commercial -- Frank Zappa
Bartok: The 6 String Quartets -- Emerson String Quartet
Flying in a Blue Dream -- Joe Satriani
Inner Mounting Flame -- Mahavishnu Orchestra
Black Holes and Revelations -- Muse
Maiden Voyage -- Herbie Hancock
The Lightning Fingers of Roy Clark
Giant Steps -- John Coltrane
Eliminator -- ZZ Top
Bach: The Art of the Fugue -- Emerson String Quartet

... and these are just 10 on top of my messy, not-yet-put-back stack...

To be fair, though, I probably listen to metal most often, but of either the older (i.e. late 60's through early 90's) or progressive variety (Dream Theater, Rush, Queensryche). Maybe today it'd just be called rock.

My own style is somewhere between progressive rock/metal and fusion.

I find your list odd, however. You break out soul/funk/r&b/rap, but leave such broad areas as classical, jazz, rock and pop. You're missing country and related genres such as bluegrass entirely.

But breaking out musical genres always seems to be a troublesome that ends up epistemology questions about classification.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 26, 2008 3:45 am

It's true, some categories are represented under the vague and all too broad "Classical" label, whereas Rap and R n' B should be under the same category (and are under-represented here on this forum anyway ;-) )
I'm going to have a look :-)

RobertGloverJr
Ear training enthusiast

"The Great American Songbook" cateogory

Post by RobertGloverJr » Nov 30, 2009 6:44 pm

There is no category that adequately expresses my taste in music. I like those music stations on cable TV that play a combination of big bands along with Ella, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Fred Astaire, Dina Washington, the Mills Brothers, Bing Crosby, Barbara Cook, etc. The songs are written by the likes of Gershwin, Rogers and Hart, Rogers and Hammerstein, Dorothy Fields, Johny Mercer, Erwin Drake, etc. etc.
It's not the exactly the jazz category and it's not exactly the show tune category. Maybe a name for the category could be "The Great American Songbook".
Am a musical hobbiest-- played piano (musical comedy) at theater camps during summers while in college. Many years of private piano lessons. Currently taking private jazz piano lessons.

bbillymac
Ear training enthusiast

Post by bbillymac » Mar 26, 2011 8:05 am

I agree with bumblebe, who said, "Well, I listen to Jazz mostly, but Classical, Blues and World come a close second, third and fourth. We might see a wider range of musical interests if 1st, 2nd, 3rd votes could be cast."

Whereas I listen to rock/pop mostly but love and play a lot of classical and blues. (Rock guitarists are by necessity blues guitarists)

DoubleR217
Ear training buff

Post by DoubleR217 » Jun 17, 2011 1:47 am

Gospel