Problem solved! Melodic Sight Singing

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

TimTheTenor
Ear training apprentice

Problem solved! Melodic Sight Singing

Post by TimTheTenor » Dec 26, 2021 9:16 pm

I was trying to sing my answers in solfege, like Do Re Do. No matter what I did, my answers were scored "incorrect." I got awfully discouraged.

I realized that singing different solfege syllables might make it too hard for the software and the CPU to calculate the pitches and to compare them.

So I changed to just singing La La La. Everything worked fine after that.

This should be included in the instructions. (Except there aren't any instructions, as far as I can tell.)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Problem solved! Melodic Sight Singing

Post by Quentin » Dec 29, 2021 3:15 am

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. EarMaster can analyze notes sung with solfege syllables, but it is possible that some combinations of voices, pitches and microphones may create strong overtones that make pitch analysis incorrect.

We would like to dig deeper into this. Could you please end us a recording of your voice singing the same syllables at the same pace using the same mic?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

TimTheTenor
Ear training apprentice

Post by TimTheTenor » Dec 29, 2021 10:40 pm

We would like to dig deeper into this. Could you please end us a recording of your voice singing the same syllables at the same pace using the same mic?
Thanks, Quentin, I appreciate your offer.

Now that I know it ought to work, I'll try adjusting the mic, mic placement, etc. If I have more frustration, I'll get back to you.

By the way, I'm using the mic built into my laptop. Is this less than ideal for EarMaster? If so, what sort of mic is best?

TimTheTenor

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 03, 2022 4:40 am

Any mic should work, including built-in webcam mics. We always make sure the algorithm remains precise regardless of mic quality, as many (most) users don't have studio microphones at home.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -