Chord Identification

Suggestions for new songs and changes to our interval song example chart
murrow
Ear training buff

Chord Identification

Post by murrow » Aug 21, 2013 7:53 am

I am working through the "Chord Identification" and can't help that think they are some "melodic arpeggios" of famous songs that use certain arpeggios in a memorable phrase. "Kumbya" would be a good example of an ascending major arpeggio. I know there must be several examples of other acending and descending arpeggios (minor, major(b5), augmented) and feel this could be helpful in the same way we use popular tunes to help with intervals. I would be curious to hear what anyone who reads this thinks of this approach even if you have no examples to share.

murrow
Ear training buff

Re: Chord Identification

Post by murrow » Aug 21, 2013 8:07 am

Major Descending- Star Spangled Banner

Arpeggio
Ear training enthusiast

Post by Arpeggio » Dec 17, 2013 6:54 am

The beginning chord "Riding Along In My Automobile - Chuck Berry" sounds like an augmented chord, I might be wrong.

The South Park Theme tune is made either of b5 dyad (2 note) chords or diminished chords that are shifted up and down by b3rds.

sus2 and sus4 are "religion chords" (used a lot in worship songs I think) and are used between major chords on the song for the part of the little Nicky film when he visits heaven, lol.

rzaytsev
Ear training freshman

Post by rzaytsev » May 28, 2019 10:51 pm

Wikipedia has some good examples for augmented chord (personally I found "Oh, Darling!" helpful). But I didn't find a good example for diminished.
Also are there any examples to distinguish inversions?

Irene
Ear training expert

Post by Irene » Jun 13, 2019 2:10 am

murrow wrote:
> Major Descending- Star Spangled Banner

Good example of a Major Descending Arpeggio.