Newbie question

A place to discuss the iPad and iPhone versions of EarMaster

Moderator: Quentin

Diverpete
Ear training rookie

Newbie question

Post by Diverpete » Sep 25, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi there,
I am really new to this but trying to get more info on ear training and music theory to help me learn to play guitar.
I have tried your app for the last week or so. I am trying the beginners course.
I am struggling to sing a note accurately. I am trying to sing a la at the correct pitch as played by the app but am scoring really badly. I got through the first exercise, must have been beginners luck. The second exercise I have been trying and trying but unable to get above about thirty percent.
I thought maybe I was tone deaf but seem to be able to pick out an incorrect note when playing scales on guitar.
How can I start to improve.
Thanks

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Newbie question

Post by Quentin » Sep 26, 2018 3:37 am

Hi and welcome!

If you are struggling with pitch matching, I think you should try some preparatory work outside of the App first. You can try the following:

1. Make sure your guitar is in tune
2. Play the first note of the C Major scale and then try to sing it while looking at a tuner. Hold the tone and adjust it until you hit the correct tone in pitch.
3. Play the second note of the C Major scale (D) and try to match it with your voice with the help of a tuner. Continue with the same procedure for the rest of the C Major scale, and repeat that exercise daily for some time.
4. When you hit the right pitches easily, you can add the rest of the tones of the chromatic scales (with sharps and flats, moving one fret at a time).
5. When you can hit all pitches, start trying to sing the notes you play on your guitar as you play them.

Already after the third point, you should be more than ready to take the lessons of the Beginner's Course of EarMaster.

If you need a tuner, ou can get the EarMaster Pitchboy: https://www.earmaster.com/products/other-products/pitchboy-mini-keyring-tuner.html but any other tuner with a built-in mic will do.

I hope this will help you!
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Diverpete
Ear training rookie

Re: Newbie question

Post by Diverpete » Sep 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Thank you for your help. I cant wait to try out your suggestions.
Thanks and regards,
Pete Dalton