Search found 12 matches

by tedclaymore
Mar 01, 2009 2:04 pm
Forum: General discussion
Topic: EarMaster Wishlist thread
Replies: 142
Views: 208329

The second item on my wishlist: User defined 'keys' for key/root movement... and closely related: A lesson option should include only pulling intervals/chords/voicings from the 'key'. Perhaps this would be a separate lesson altogether. For example, let's say I wish to practice scale thirds harmonica...
by tedclaymore
Mar 01, 2009 12:52 pm

There are a number of suggestions I have for EM6, but there are two things I want most. I'll deal with each one in a separate post Voicing lessons: Example: Lets say I want to practice recognizing the voicing used on a set of seventh chords. I want to recognize drop 2 and drop 3 voicings along with ...
by tedclaymore
Mar 01, 2009 11:33 am

EarMaster Wishlist thread

Now that EM5 is out for Mac, and we can start looking forward to EM6, I'd like to start discussing what we most want to see in the next version.
by tedclaymore
Feb 19, 2009 11:14 am
Topic: How to determine perfect pitch?
Replies: 21
Views: 54949

Michal, Perfect pitch is the ability to recognize a pitch (or pitches) without reference to other pitches. It is also the ability to recall a pitch, usually expressed by being able to sing it on demand, but it can also be shown by other methods, such as tuning a string to a specific pitch without a ...
by tedclaymore
Nov 25, 2008 3:37 pm
Topic: What type of Music do you listen to mostly?
Replies: 20
Views: 43959

ummm.... Let's see.... Here are the ten CDs I've listened to most recently (and I am not making this up): Strictly Commercial -- Frank Zappa Bartok: The 6 String Quartets -- Emerson String Quartet Flying in a Blue Dream -- Joe Satriani Inner Mounting Flame -- Mahavishnu Orchestra Black Holes and Rev...
by tedclaymore
Apr 29, 2008 3:25 pm
Forum: Support
Topic: Tritone, Augmented 4, Diminished 5
Replies: 4
Views: 10546

Thank you, Hans. Your explanation makes sense. I look forward to improved handling of enharmonic intervals in future versions. Your suggestion for handling the Aug 4 vs. Dim 5 would be satisfactory. My own practice is to simply name the interval 'tritone' in isolation, and call it Aug 4 or Dim 5 in ...
by tedclaymore
Apr 24, 2008 7:04 pm

I don't want to be argumentative, but the explanation of Interval Identification Lesson 19 of the Standard Tutor alone betrays that the augmented 4th is not being considered: The new intervals are: Minor 2nd , Minor 3rd and Diminished 5th . There is no mention of the augmented 4th. Granted it is the...
by tedclaymore
Apr 21, 2008 5:05 am

Tritone, Augmented 4, Diminished 5

Hi, I've just started using EM5 School, starting with myself before I start my students. I've noted that the Tritone is always spelled as a diminished 5, even when an augmented 4 spelling would be more apropriate. I realize this is more 'theory' than 'ear training', but to my mind they are intimatel...
by tedclaymore
Apr 19, 2008 1:33 pm
Topic: Progressions: Specific Pattern of Inversions, etc.?
Replies: 2
Views: 6889

To make the perfect cadences, my understanding is you need to be able to specify the soprano (or top) voice.

For a phrygian cadence, we'd also need to somehow specify contrary motion.

If this can be done in EM5, I'd like to know how, and if not, consider it a suggestion for enhancement.
by tedclaymore
Apr 19, 2008 1:06 pm
Topic: Better grouping of 16th and 32th in the rhythm exercises
Replies: 2
Views: 6440

EarMaster developers may want to look at how Gnu Lilypond handles note groupings.
by tedclaymore
Apr 19, 2008 1:04 pm
Topic: Melody reading.
Replies: 3
Views: 7320

Even if it's only effective for MIDI instruments, including melody reading, and (even better for an ear training program) melody echo (play back what you just heard) would be worthwhile. Granted not everyone could benefit, but these more than just keyboards have MIDI controllers available (guitars, ...
by tedclaymore
Apr 19, 2008 12:58 pm
Topic: Big problem with melody dictation
Replies: 5
Views: 10848

Perhaps an optional weighting system for melodies would be an easy way to (almost) get what 'bla' is asking for.

e.g. For C Dorian one might specify C(4) D Eb(4) F G A(4) Bb, where the number in parens is the weight to be given a tone, so the tonic, minor third, and natural sixth are emphasized.