different tone generator

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Bob
Ear training enthusiast

different tone generator

Post by Bob » Apr 15, 2012 9:29 pm

According to a review on Amazon, apparently it is possible to have a different source for the playback sounds:

"The more advanced exercises are so subtle that I ended up (with the help of someone on the Ear Master Pro forum) installing some additional "open source " software on my PC so that the musical tones of the chords generated by Ear Master Pro are easier to hear. For example, hearing the minor seventh of a four note V chord versus a V chord triad can be difficult if the tones are generated by the mediocre tone generator that comes standard on a WinXP computer."

I couldn't find the source for this topic on this forum. How would one do this?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 16, 2012 6:29 am

Hello,
This is explained in our FAQ: http://www.earmaster.com/support/faq.htm#sample_player
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 16, 2012 6:30 am

If you are on Windows, a good MIDI "virtual cable" is LoopBe1, which is free and works perfectly.

Bob
Ear training enthusiast

sound player

Post by Bob » Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

I have installed loopbe1 and downloaded and installed Kontakt 5 Player (newer free version of Kore Player - http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... 8-players/)

I am not sure how to configure the input and out midi on Kontakt Player and
midi in and midi out on EarMaster. Your advice would be appreciated.
Quentin wrote:Hello,
This is explained in our FAQ: http://www.earmaster.com/support/faq.htm#sample_player
:
On Windows:
Install a virtual MIDI device/cable/port/patchbay. Then choose your virtual MIDI device as MIDI Out device in EarMaster and as MIDI In in your Sample player.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 18, 2012 1:07 am

Hi Bob,

First of all, start EarMaster and go to TOOLS/MIDI DEVICES. Choose LoopeBe1 as MIDI OUT.

Then Start Kontakt Player, go to the settings, and choose LoopBe1 as MIDI IN device.

This will connect the MIDI ports of each software.

Bob
Ear training enthusiast

Post by Bob » Apr 18, 2012 9:29 am

If I understand this correctly, LoopeBe1 is a virtual cable which outputs the EarMaster sounds to play through Kontakt Player, and the output comes from Kontakt Player through the sound card.

I tried LoopBe1 as MIDI OUT on EarMaster and LoopBe1 as MIDI IN (tried all ports) on Kontakt Player, but no sound. Kontakt Player has as input options: Off, Port A, Port B, Port C and Port D. Do I need to choose a MIDI output for the Kontakt Player? Does it matter what MIDI IN is on EarMaster, or does that only matter if I have a keyboard connected via MIDI?

What I have been using on EarMaster was MStUio2 as MIDI IN and Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth as MIDI OUT.

These combinations work on EarMaster:
MIDI IN → MIDI OUT
None, MStUio2, Midistart-2 or LoopBe1 → Microsoft MIDI Mapper
None, MStUio2, Midistart-2 or LoopBe1 → Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
None, MStUio2, Midistart-2 or LoopBe1 → Creative SoundFont Synth

Thanks, Quentin.

Quentin wrote:Hi Bob,

First of all, start EarMaster and go to TOOLS/MIDI DEVICES. Choose LoopeBe1 as MIDI OUT.

Then Start Kontakt Player, go to the settings, and choose LoopBe1 as MIDI IN device.

This will connect the MIDI ports of each software.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 23, 2012 1:37 am

In Kontakt Player, there should be a MIDI input level meter reacting as sounds are fed into Kontakt. If it does react (= registers that MIDI data is sent to it) but doesn't play any sound, you probably have to configure the audio output of Kontakt player.

Bob
Ear training enthusiast

different tone generator

Post by Bob » Apr 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Somehow the LoopB1 port got set on mute. Once I unmuted it and selected an instrument on Kontak Player, I can now get sound from EarMaster through Kontak Player. Thanks!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 24, 2012 12:55 am

That's great, I'm glad you got it to work without too much hassle :)

Adrian
Ear training rookie

Re: different tone generator

Post by Adrian » Nov 30, 2019 12:33 pm

That process doesnt seem to work with me, if I do that and want to activate the midi in the exercises I always get
"Warning: tMIDIInwindows.Open: MidiInOpen returned OSStatus=7 (C: Sourcecode EarMasterD10.3 units uMidi.pas, line 2183)"

Any ideas how to fix that? :)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: different tone generator

Post by Quentin » Dec 02, 2019 1:32 am

Can you please contact EarMaster's dev team at feedback@earmaster.com with that info? They might have additional questions to track that problem down.