Evaluation error

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

cirellip
Ear training buff

Evaluation error

Post by cirellip » Aug 23, 2020 7:08 am

[attachment=0]Rhythmic Sight-Reading.jpg[/attachment]

Something wrong here: Rhythmic Sight-Reading exercise, perfectly done, 73% result (also the message "9 notes have wrong length" is not correct). No problems with the same exercise in 4/4.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Evaluation error

Post by Quentin » Aug 25, 2020 12:28 am

Thank you for your feedback. In which course/workshop are you?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

cirellip
Ear training buff

Post by cirellip » Aug 25, 2020 5:03 am

In Italian it's Workshop Comuni (maybe Common Workshops in English?)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 25, 2020 6:06 am

Thank you. It looks like you have activated the option "Evaluate note length", which means that you need to hold the space bar for the duration of each note. If you don't want to play the duration but only the timing, then open the exercise options (right-side panel) and disable "Evaluate note length".

cirellip
Ear training buff

Post by cirellip » Aug 25, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks but I don't think that's the problem: if I deliberately play short notes when long ones are required instead, normally I get graphical error icons (pink line). But in my case, I played the exact lengths (through Midi, I don't use the space bar), all notes were green-checked and the exercise should be 100% right. The problem appears randomly, mostly I get 100%, but in some exercises I get less than 100% when it should be 100%. Also, very easy exercise, not easy to get it wrong...

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 26, 2020 3:18 am

I managed to reproduce the screenshot you posted with these options:

- Show claps: OFF
- Evaluate note length: ON
- Silent input: ON

Then if I just hit the notes and don't hold them, everything looks like it was correct in the evaluation feedback from EarMaster, but I didn't play the durations of the notes so I don't get a 100% score. If you turn "Show claps" ON, you should see what happens and why you only get 73% at that question.

We will add a feature that shows the claps after a question has been answered even if "Show claps" is turned OFF, as it is useful to know the details of your performance regardless how you answer the exercise.

cirellip
Ear training buff

Post by cirellip » Aug 26, 2020 8:48 am

Many thanks, I'm sorry you're right: I deliberately turned Show Claps off (and forgot about it…) because I felt the exercises with Show Claps on are a little too easy (when you read actual scores you're not "guided" that way; for the same reason I'd also like to be able to turn off the blue line under the current measure...). I think the "show the claps after a question has been answered even if "Show claps" is turned OFF" feature would be perfect. Again, many thanks.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 28, 2020 4:52 am

Ok great. Yes, we have also plans to add an option do hide the pitch curve when completing melodic exercises.