EarMaster Wishlist thread

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

tedclaymore
Ear training buff

EarMaster Wishlist thread

Post by tedclaymore » Mar 01, 2009 11:33 am

Now that EM5 is out for Mac, and we can start looking forward to EM6, I'd like to start discussing what we most want to see in the next version.

tedclaymore
Ear training buff

Post by tedclaymore » Mar 01, 2009 12:52 pm

There are a number of suggestions I have for EM6, but there are two things I want most. I'll deal with each one in a separate post

Voicing lessons:

Example: Lets say I want to practice recognizing the voicing used on a set of seventh chords. I want to recognize drop 2 and drop 3 voicings along with close voicings at first. Later I'll add drop 23 and practice recognizing missing voices (such as no 5th or even no Root). In EM 5, I can get close to this goal, but I cannot meet it.

EM5 lacks a proper voicing lesson. We can approximate it with the chord lesson and, to a lesser extent, the inversion lesson.

The chord lesson set up fails because of a built in 'feature', the fact that the custom chord dialog will respell a chord or structure that does not have 'C' as its root. For example, there are 4 drop 2 voicings of CMaj7: GCEB, BEGC, CGBE, EBCG. If I enter these as custom chords, only the CGBE voicing is retained in C. The others a transposed so that the base tone is made to be the root tone.

Note: the structures aren't really transposed; rather, EM states the keynote of the structure incorrectly: If I created 'GCEB' in the custom chord definition and called it 'Maj7 5137 (drop2)' and I restrict the exercise to the key of 'C', I will get answer declared thus: GMaj7 5137 (drop2) with notes GCEB, which is incorrect.

The inversion less is actually worse here. It requires a chord defined in the custom chords, but when we proceed to select inversions, the voicing is removed. In technical terms, the inversion lesson seems to only account for the pitch classes used in a chord, not the octave placement. (Which makes perfect sense for inversions; all we should be worried about with an inversion is which degree is in the bass, but it means we cannot harness this for a voicings lesson).

The best I can do with EM 5 is to add an extra tone, a C in the bass, to force the chord lesson to not respell my keynote.

Another EM 5 possibility is to use the "Open Voicings" option in the exercise setup, but this will give all sorts of possible voicings (except closed), and is worthless with the multiple choice button because it'll always just say Maj7 for example.

Voicing is an important aspect to playing a comping instrument in Jazz and similar settings. I hope to see a voicing lesson in EM 6.

tedclaymore
Ear training buff

Post by tedclaymore » Mar 01, 2009 2:04 pm

The second item on my wishlist:

User defined 'keys' for key/root movement... and closely related: A lesson option should include only pulling intervals/chords/voicings from the 'key'. Perhaps this would be a separate lesson altogether.

For example, let's say I wish to practice scale thirds harmonically, not from the Major scale (or its modes) but from Melodic Minor (ascending assumed from here on out).

Or perhaps I want to practice diatonic chords from G Major. Perhaps I want chords from both G Major and E Harmonic Minor.

I may wish to practice identifying structures derived from Bb Pentatonic.

I may even want more fine grained control: E.g. a very simple exercise: harmonic P5 from C and F, harmonic P4 from C and G.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 02, 2009 3:01 am

Great idea. I have set this topic to "sticky", so that it remains highlighted.

We already have a huge list of modifications and new features for V.6, but there might be some great features that we have overseen or didn't think about.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

studiboreali
Ear training expert

Post by studiboreali » Mar 09, 2009 2:16 am

hello to everyone!
i am trying the demo version of earmasterpro on a mac and i am just registered in this forum.
congratulation for the great software! i'am using it once a week and i think it's the best (i have triend also other eartrainig software ;-)).

i'am now interested to buy it and i have one question:
when is expected the new version of earmasterpro? is this the time to buy or is better to patient for the new imminent release?

i want to say oneother little think: for me the icon of earmaster is not so great as the software is. so in my wish list there is a new icon. :laugh3:

and in the end congratulation one other time for this great software!
thank.you!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 09, 2009 4:42 am

Hello,

We have not started to develop EarMaster 6 yet. We are gathering requests and feedback at the moment.

V. 6 won't be finished before 1 1/2 to 2 years, so there is plenty of time ;-)

But I can garantee it will be worth it :-D

Petimar
Ear training rookie

Chord ear training

Post by Petimar » Apr 07, 2009 8:29 am

Random Jazz Chord Progressions, or at least a lot more than you already have.

studiboreali
Ear training expert

Post by studiboreali » May 05, 2009 12:52 am

an exercice where from the "A" given (as a diapason) you have to sing a chord (asked by EM). the same think a choir director has to do with the choir at the beginning of a piece.
obiuvsly with a tutor that take you from easy to hard.

:-)

lalu123
Ear training rookie

Post by lalu123 » May 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Me waiting eagerly for EarMaster 6 8-)

V for Vincent
Ear training expert

Post by V for Vincent » Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am

1) Sight reading (doesn't necessarily have to give feedback, since few of us have midi instruments)

2) Native Linux compatibility (hey, it's worth a shot.)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jul 15, 2009 2:36 am

Hi Vincent,

Something tells me that 1) is higly considered for V6 ;)

As for a Native Linux version, you should probably try to spam our developers :D . However, it is very unlikely that this version will come out in the near future I'm afraid.

Neil
Ear training buff

Post by Neil » Jul 21, 2009 6:58 pm

Sight reading features would be highly appreciated!

The best I've seen for the PC is Etude Sight Reader. (There is Sight Reading Studio for the Mac)
It's only for MIDI keyboards but compliments EarMaster very well.

One feature is has which shouldn't be missing from EarMaster is the ability to use a different MIDI interface for the metronome, which is ideal if you just have a plain old digital piano as your input device and a soundcard with MIDI drums.

Cheers,
Neil.

.daniel.
Ear training apprentice

Post by .daniel. » Nov 04, 2009 2:45 am

When the programme asks how large an intervall is, I experienced that it is not unlikely that you get the same intervall twice. I know how random generators work and that this is just a possible option. However, I would like to see this option far less because it can be a bit annoying. Thanks.

.daniel.
Ear training apprentice

Post by .daniel. » Nov 04, 2009 7:44 am

Another thing...
I would love if it sounds more realistic like a guitar and less like a synthesizer. Thanks ;-)

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Nov 05, 2009 1:58 am

Hi,
The sounds actually depend on the MIDI sound synthesizer installed on your computer. Default sounds used by internal soundcards tend to be cold and lifeless, but it is possible to obtain highly realistic sounds with quality softsynths or sample players. We will look into adding an integrated sound solution to version 6, but can't promise it will be added. :-)