Use EarMaster Teacher Edition to learn playing scales

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

zxxz
Ear training rookie

Use EarMaster Teacher Edition to learn playing scales

Post by zxxz » Mar 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Hello,

I have EarMaster Teacher Edition and I would like to know if it is possible to use it to learn playing scales on the piano through MIDI input.

What I would like to do is:

1) EarMaster asks me to play a given scale (major, minor natural, minor harmonique, minor melodic) at a given tempo for a given number of octaves
2) EarMaster gives me the beat
3) I play the scale on my piano at tempo for the given octaves (the piano is connected to the PC via the MIDI interface)
4) EarMaster shows me if I hit the right notes at the right tempo

The ultimate goal is to memorise the scales first and then increase the speed and the number of octaves.

Is this possible? Where should I start? Do you know a better way?

Thanks a lot in advance.

zxxz

zxxz
Ear training rookie

Re: Use EarMaster Teacher Edition to learn playing scales

Post by zxxz » May 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Do you know where should I start?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Use EarMaster Teacher Edition to learn playing scales

Post by Quentin » May 02, 2016 3:19 am

You can't do exactly that wouldn't be either ear training or sight-singing (which is what EarMaster is focusing on), but you can configure exercises that are quite close:

* Using Scale Identification, You will have to repeat by ear a scale that has been played. You can play it on your MIDI keyboard, but there is no rhythm involved.

* Using the Sight-Singing activity, you will be able to train with scales by selecting "Melody Database" as source of musical material, and adding the scales you want to train with as melodies. That way, you will have to perform the scales with rhythm. It might take quite some time to configure though, because you need to write the scales as melodies, and then add them to the exercise manually.

* Using the Melody Imitation activity in the same way as described above for the Sight-Singing activity. This time you wouldn't have to read the scales in rhythm, but to play them back in rhythm.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -