"Answer Identification -> Absolute" not fully functional?

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

sabre2552
Ear training freshman

"Answer Identification -> Absolute" not fully functional?

Post by sabre2552 » Mar 23, 2014 12:36 am

I'm trying to develop my sense of relative (and hopefully perfect) pitch through EarMaster 6, and am trying to use the absolute answer identification to help that. However, I've noticed a few odd things with this setting:
  1. It seems like it just locks the root note into your answer, forcing you to use it. However, it's not forcing you to use it correctly. If in "Chord Identification" the program plays G Major, I'm forced to use the G, but I can still put in "Eb G Bb" (or "C E G") and get a correct score.
  2. Turning off "Show first tone" basically makes this feature not work. If the program played G Major, I can put in Bb D F and it'll pass.
  3. Using a MIDI keyboard basically makes this feature not work. Even if "show first tone" is on and the program plays G Major, I could play Bb D F on my MIDI keyboard and it'll erase the "locked-in" G and give me a correct score.
I would like to be able to have "show first tone" turned off and, using my MIDI keyboard, if the program plays G Major, only pass if I played the exact G Major that was requested. Am I using the program wrong, and is there a way to get the functionality I need?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: "Answer Identification -> Absolute" not fully functional

Post by Quentin » Mar 24, 2014 9:03 am

Hi,

Thanks a lot for pointing that out. It's a bug, and it will be fixed as soon as possible.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -