Font Problem on OSX

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

soundcheck
Ear training rookie

Font Problem on OSX

Post by soundcheck » Mar 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I have been using EarMaster 6.2 on a MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan for a few months. However, as of today, fonts do not display correctly in notation exercises. Instead, I get boxes with question marks. I tried the couple of actions suggested in an earlier post on this forum about font problems but it did not fix the problem.

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Re: Font Problem on OSX

Post by Niclas » Mar 03, 2016 3:51 am

Hi there

You should try to delete the Setting.da6 file in EarMaster's data folder. This usually fixes this issue.

You can find the data folder at this path, or simply search in your finder window.

Mac OSX: Users\Shared\EarMaster\6.x\Data

Let me know if it works.

-Niclas

soundcheck
Ear training rookie

Post by soundcheck » Mar 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I already tried that, as it was suggested in a previous post on this forum. However, that did not fix the problem. Still getting boxes with question marks instead of notation.

Niclas
EarMaster.com

Post by Niclas » Mar 04, 2016 5:11 am

Okay, I see.

Is your license an App Store version or a regular serial number license?

If you have a regular version you should check and see if you are on the latest build (help>check for updates). A simple restart of your computer could also have an impact, in case you haven't tried that yet. You should also try to re-install EarMaster and then try to delete the whole data folder (besides the Results folder in here, if you want to keep your results).

-Niclas

boptimism
Ear training enthusiast

Post by boptimism » Mar 09, 2016 7:58 am

I'm having the same problem. I'm a long time user with a regular serial number license. I recently bought a new Mac desktop and started having trouble, so I downloaded the program again and reinstalled. Problem not solved. I deleted the data folder and hope that will have an impact.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 10, 2016 6:18 am

Hello,

We have added a FAQ about that problem (last entry in "Using EarMaster"): http://www.earmaster.com/support/freque ... tions.html

Here's the Q/A in question:

Questions marks are displayed on the staff instead of notes. How do I fix that?

This seems to happen on some computers because of a problem with the reading privileges of a OS X or Windows user on the computer.

There are several actions that can fix that:

Method 1. Go to the TOOLS menu of EarMaster, choose "Preferences", and select the notation style that is not currently selected. (i.e. select Jazz if you are using Classical, or vice-versa).

Method 2: Open the FINDER (Mac) or the File Explorer (Windows) and search for the file "Setting.da6". Put the file in the trash and start EarMaster.

Method 3 (notice: this will delete all your user data including your results!): go to the "Users/Shared/" folder (Mac OS X) or "Program Data/" folder (Windows) and delete the EarMaster folder. Run the installation of EarMaster to re-create the missing files.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Edoardo Ravaglia
Ear training rookie

Post by Edoardo Ravaglia » Mar 30, 2016 5:58 am

I installed a demo version of the program, and I had the same problems.
none of the suggested solutions has worked.
Please solve, otherwise I can not buy the program.
thank you

E.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Mar 30, 2016 9:04 am

Thank you for your feedback. It seems there are thousands og similar cases with El Capitan and various software out there - not only EarMaster. We have not yet been able to reproduce the issue consistently. It has happened once or twice on our computers and a simple restart fixed it every time. Googling the problems sends to various forums including Apple's support forum, and no one has a real fix or explanation.

We have our developers looking into this. Hopefully, we'll find the reason for that problem which seems completely random (most users never experience it at all).

A few questions:
1. What language are you using on your Mac?
2. Are you using a Font manager?
3. Did you install El Capitan from fresh, or was it an update of the OS?

Edoardo Ravaglia
Ear training rookie

Post by Edoardo Ravaglia » Mar 31, 2016 1:09 am

Hi tanks for your reply,

I use italian language, Don't have any Font manager and I've updated from Yosemite.

Hope this help

E.

hsoldano
Ear training freshman

Post by hsoldano » Apr 02, 2016 11:14 pm

The font problem seems to be due to file permissions.
In Mac os X el Capitan, you need then to repair the drive:

- run Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
- select your system volume (in general it is the only one on the disk)
- run SOS

this will in particular check the files permissions integrity and fix them.

This worked for me. IMO it's the first thing to try to fix the font problem, as well as other similar troubles in El capitan.

Note: in older systems, repairing the hard drive was divided into two separate tasks: fixing the file permissions and repairing corrupted files. To fix the font problem try fixing the file permissions.

Edoardo Ravaglia
Ear training rookie

Post by Edoardo Ravaglia » Apr 05, 2016 1:01 am

It seems that in this way the program works!
Thanks !

E.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 05, 2016 1:17 am

Great news! Thanks hsoldano for the tip, we'll add it as the #1 thing to try in the FAQ.

boptimism
Ear training enthusiast

Post by boptimism » May 24, 2016 8:16 am

I followed instructions of hsoldano, but when I go to disk utility, there's no choice for "SOS"

now what?

boptimism
Ear training enthusiast

Post by boptimism » May 24, 2016 8:20 am

And, by the way, I'm not an apprentice. I've been using the program for years and never had all these problems. the only reason I'm being called an apprentice is because I deleted the program and downloaded it again multiple times in the hope of starting fresh, but no matter how many times I do that I still get the same results. I have no access to my program and it sucks

boptimism
Ear training enthusiast

Post by boptimism » May 24, 2016 8:32 am

New problem! Now I'm getting a message that that says "Custom Exception - Access violation