Violin Fingerboard

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Ahlers
Ear training rookie

Violin Fingerboard

Post by Ahlers » Aug 26, 2016 10:45 pm

I downloaded the trial version of EarMaster Pro 6 to test whether it would be suitable to use with my violin students.
I set up the instrument as violin and it works beautifully with picking up the sound of the violin with the melody sight reading part, but when I tried out the melody dictation option, it only gives me a guitar finger board with an option of two colors. Will it be possible to choose a violin finger board in the paid version or is that not yet available?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Violin Fingerboard

Post by Quentin » Aug 29, 2016 3:50 am

Hello,

These are 2 different options. I think you have been setting up microphone input to pick up the notes of the violin correctly, but the visual violin displayed on the screen is another option. To get EarMaster to display a violin in an exercise, go to the "Anser Input" menu, and select "Violin" as "strings tuning". The Guitar option in the Answer Input menu will then be changed to "Violin". Select it to use a violin fingerboard to answer the exercises.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

Ahlers
Ear training rookie

Post by Ahlers » Aug 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice!
I've now managed to get most of the settings I need to play an exercise, also showing the Angolsaxon note names instead of the solfege. However, the standard violin tuning is an octave lower than the normal violin tuning and the sound file that plays during exercises is therefore also an octave lower. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the intonation correct, as the violin is playing an octave higher and the software is having trouble identifying the notes. If I actually play an octave lower than the notation, the exercise shows more correct notes.
As the software is finding it difficult to identify the pitches my violin is producing, the fingerboard is naturally also not showing the correct places for the notes being played.
Is there anywhere I could set the tuning that is actually an octave higher to see if it will improve the results?

Thanks a lot!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 30, 2016 2:53 am

Hello,

The exercises will use your vocal range to generate the notes of the questions. Therefore, if the vocal range is set to a rnage that is lower than that of a violin, you will get question that force a transposition of the fingerboard (in order to be able to answer the exercise).

If you are using the exercises with a violin, then you should perhaps set your vocal range to the tone range of a violin. To do that, go to "FILE-->USER PROPERTIES, select Customized" for vocal range, and click "Edit" to specify a custom vocal range that corresponds to the tone range of a violin.

Tone naming settings are, like all the settings listed in the "Exercise Settings" menu, set on an exercise basis. That way, you can use sol-fa for scale and sight-singing exercises, the Anglo-Saxon C, D, E system for chords and intervals, and roman numerals for chord progressions for example. You can change the tone naming from Sol-fa to Anglo-saxon in the Exercise Settings menu, under "Tone Naming".
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -