7th minor vs 5th dim ..big problems

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

davidaems
Ear training enthusiast

7th minor vs 5th dim ..big problems

Post by davidaems » Jan 24, 2011 6:39 am

Hi everybody :-) this is my first post here in this amazing forum.
I have big big problems recognizing this two intervals, in low octave or very high octaves. it seems like they sound the same chord.Meanwhile in the middle range , it's easy for me identify the two melodies, 8-| startrek and the simpson.
Do you have any suggestion or some exercise for help me to develop a better note perception in that range of note, low and high?

PS I have to explain better. If I compare togheter this two chords I am able to identify them, but in the middle of the exercise, with all of the others I have problems.
listen to the band !

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 24, 2011 6:54 am

That's a tough one. The only thing I can think of is to make some customized exercises with these 2 plus a coupe of others (different each time) in order to slowly learn to discriminate them. Hold on :-)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

davidaems
Ear training enthusiast

Post by davidaems » Jan 24, 2011 7:54 am

Thank you Quentin
is exactly what I did. I spent about one hour using customizing exercises, but nothing happend. If I trained in the middle range tunes it,s ok, just i go in the low or high, like I said befor, at that point it becomes difficult to distinguish the two intervals.
What do you suggest ? go haead with the exercises, go further , or stay stuck on this two chords?
listen to the band !

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Jan 24, 2011 8:23 am

In any case, I don't think getting stuck with the same intervals will get you anywhere. It will only bring you frustration. Move forward and train with other chords/scales/rhythms in order to get fresh ears and save money on smashed screens and computer keyboards ;-). You can always come back to those two intervals at a later points.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

davidaems
Ear training enthusiast

Post by davidaems » Jan 24, 2011 8:39 am

:laugh3: my computer display and keyboard say thank you to you.
I go haead with my tough exercises
listen to the band !