Optional scale and interval theory before ear training

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

arcadiadiv
Ear training buff

Optional scale and interval theory before ear training

Post by arcadiadiv » Oct 19, 2012 11:57 am

Forgive me if this has already been implemented, but about integrating optional scale and interval theory before the ear training begins? I'm not talking something in depth here. I'm saying to give us just enough theory to fend for ourselves. It makes ear training a lot more efficient if we know the theory behind what we are listening to or studying. If you need an example to what I'm trying to say, look at Functional Ear Trainer http://miles.be/. I downloaded Functional Ear Trainer and the way it goes about ear training is, in my opinion, more effective than Ear Master for the reasons just described.

Functional Ear Trainer is free btw. It's packaged with AIR (Flash) so you may need to download AIR in order to install this but it's well worth it.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 22, 2012 1:19 am

Hi,
The application you are referring to is focusing solely on functions. EarMaster covers functions too, but also hundreds of other things. It is true that EarMaster 5 didn't offer many explanations about theory, mostly because it is an ear trainer that is supposed to be used as a supplemental tool to traditional ear training and music theory classes.
However, you will be happy to know that EarMaster 6 (the new version currently in Beta) is offering more theoretical information before lessons, and even features a new window where you can audition examples of each scale/chord/progression/rhythm/etc. included in the lesson. :)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

arcadiadiv
Ear training buff

Post by arcadiadiv » Oct 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Quentin wrote:Hi,
The application you are referring to is focusing solely on functions. EarMaster covers functions too, but also hundreds of other things. It is true that EarMaster 5 didn't offer many explanations about theory, mostly because it is an ear trainer that is supposed to be used as a supplemental tool to traditional ear training and music theory classes.
However, you will be happy to know that EarMaster 6 (the new version currently in Beta) is offering more theoretical information before lessons, and even features a new window where you can audition examples of each scale/chord/progression/rhythm/etc. included in the lesson. :)
I guess I wasn't aware it was called functions. Thank you.

I was going to upgrade the moment it came out so this is just another reason.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Oct 24, 2012 7:40 am

Sounds great, thanks!
The Beta version currently available for download now includes the 2000+ new lessons, as well as the new Solfege keyboard answering method, which lets you answer using scale degrees or solfege syllables with the movable-do system.
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -