Struggling with Sight-Singing

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Jason Sioco
Ear training buff

Struggling with Sight-Singing

Post by Jason Sioco » Jun 09, 2015 2:38 pm

I am a beginner at Sight-Singing. I am doing sight-singing to improve my ear, but my voice doesn't have a good grasp of the pitches. When I see a notation, I don't know how to sing it most of the time. I have been practicing on a regular basis, but I seem to be getting worst. I have been using the examples to help me, but then I forget how the pitch sounds. When I sing the pitch, I pronounce the solfege syllables. I do that for a reason, to familiarize myself with solfege.

How long does it take to be proficient at sight-singing?

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Struggling with Sight-Singing

Post by Quentin » Jun 10, 2015 2:12 am

I think the Interval Singing activity will help you place your voice more accurately by making you internalize intervallic distances. If you can read the notes but have a hard time reaching the correct pitches with your voice, it means that your relative pitch skills still need to improve a bit.

Singing all the notes when doing the other activities will be a very good help as well, either by singing solfege syllables or scale degrees. At some point, you will realize that your voice has got accustomed to pitch distances and is reaching the correct pitches faster.

It takes time and effort, but it's definitely worth it.

Cheers
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -