How long does it take to be able to hear chord progressions?

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

jlmap
Ear training freshman

How long does it take to be able to hear chord progressions?

Post by jlmap » Sep 07, 2020 6:21 am

Hi everyone! I'm a 43 year old amateur classical pianist. I never got formal education. About one year ago I began to study theory and ear training. It clearly changed the way I see music, and was tremendously benefical, I think. I can hear the notes as a movable Do on a scale, I know all intervals within an octave, and I can recognize most chord types. I'm now working on chord progression. But it seems to be much more difficult. I'm working on it for about 6 months. I'm clearly improving, as I can listen to a sequence of 4 chords including I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi and viio on my app, and get about 60% right. But the app is a bit robotic. In real music I have a lot more difficulty. I'm now working again with chord inversions, trying to speak out the three notes of every inversion in major and minor, assuming the chord to be I, ii, iii, IV, V and vi. For example, when I hear a second inversion, I say Do-Fa-La, or Re-Sol-Si. I'm doing the same with all intervals. For example, when I hear a major sixth, I say Re-Si, and try to feel the bottom note as Re and the upper note as Si. Other times, I say Fa-Re, and try to feel the bottom note as Fa and the upper note as Re. I think it may help with chord progressions. Did anyone try this?
Anyway, how long does it take to be confortable with chord progressions, at least those including only triads from I to viio?

heinzgilbert
Ear training rookie

Re: How long does it take to be able to hear chord progressions?

Post by heinzgilbert » Apr 27, 2021 4:02 am

I also would like to have them, add a course about this one too. They have an excellent course of the melody sing back which I can edit to be a melody play back, I just change the input to midi and the instrument to piano. I believe by far this is the most beneficial exercise since it is very functional, specially when playing by ear and transcribing. I hope they also have the same for chord progression, starting with 1 4 5, then slowly adding the minor chords in, and slowly adding non diatonic chords, and secondary dominants to it, all playing them in real time like the melody sing back exercise.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: How long does it take to be able to hear chord progressions?

Post by Quentin » Apr 28, 2021 12:48 am

The workshops about Chord progressions are not the strongest aspects of EarMaster, and improving them has a very high priority on our to-do list. This includes a better progression, supporting classical spellings, and more activities (like playing back chords, indeed jlmap).
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -