I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight

Discuss EarMaster, ear training, theory or music in general, ask questions and share your experience.

Moderator: Quentin

Bojan
Ear training grand master

I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight

Post by Bojan » Jun 30, 2007 4:55 pm

(I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight... Who doesn't like this power ballad? Now, there are few things I don't quite get, so I'd like you to comment on this... I understand this song is originally performed in 1986 by the British band "Cutting Crew". It has also been covered by Finnish Gothic metal band "To Die For", sampled by the singer Mika on his "Relax, Take it easy" album, and remixed by rapper Jay Z. What I don't get is the fact the song has also been covered by "White Snakes" and "Duran Duran". The duration is almost the same, but color of singer's voice is always the same, as are the instruments. I tried listening hard and distinguishing particular singer, but I was unable to do that. They all sound as one and the same song to me...

My point: Timbre recognition is also an important factor in ear training, you have to be able to recognize the exact instrument to be able to use it again, and to recognize the singer's voice color so that you can distinguish similar singers and more importantly, to replicate the exact same intonation as his.

P. S. I've noticed that people here don't really talk about music and songs they like, just about practicing music, intervals, scales and stuff, which is quite boring. I'd like to encourage more people to discuss their music taste and their favorite songs, advantages and disadvantages of that type of music... That would certainly cheer this place up, and even include more people into this discussion...
Official Serbian translator

Frambo
Ear training expert

Post by Frambo » Jul 02, 2007 3:15 am

Good point Bojan. Music creates emotional responses in us and certain timbres of instruments and voices can reinforce that emotion ~ especially with singers who can infuse the melody with the meaning of lyrics. Who hasn't been moved by song or orchestra, opera etc. I guess musicians sometimes get distracted by the analysis of the construction of the music and miss the pleasure of it as art ~ though I must admit if a piece moves me I wonder why and sometimes do dissect it. Once dissected, forget about dissection and enjoy again ;-)