Identifying scale tones

A place to discuss the iPad and iPhone versions of EarMaster

Moderator: Quentin

Jazztragic
Ear training freshman

Identifying scale tones

Post by Jazztragic » Sep 01, 2017 12:58 am

Hi There,

I'm enjoying ear master but what I really want to be able to do is to identify scale tones within context. That is, have a piece of music play and have the app play one (or eventually more) scale tones during that piece of music and have me guess which scale tone it is.

Or... this is harder but would also be very useful. Have the iPad play a piece of music and ask me to sing a scale tone.

I have been looking at the melody dictation exercises but it always gives me the first note! And it is this ability to locate myself totally within a piece of music that I really want to practice.

But having said all that - I'm sure my ear will get a lot better just doing at eh exercises that you offer.

Thanks
Rhea

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Identifying scale tones

Post by Quentin » Sep 05, 2017 1:32 am

Hi,

There are several ways to id scale tones within a melody in EarMaster.

As you wrote it yourself, you can use the Melodic Dictation exercises. If you use them in "Customized Exercise" mode, then you will be able to deactivate the "Show first note option" from the EXERCISE SETTINGS menu while doing the exercise. To use the functional keyboard with scale degrees instead of solfege syllables, go to the ANSWER INPUT menu and select Functional Keyboard, then go to EXERCISE SETTINGS menu and select "Scale degrees" for "Tone naming".

You can also have EarMaster display scale degrees for you to sing in the sight-singing exercises. To to that, go to the ANSWER INPUT menu and activate "note names" as answer input. Then make sure "Scale degrees" is selected in the EXERCISE SETTINGS-->TONE NAMING option.

Or finally, you can also use the Melody Imitation exercise and sing scale degrees instead of solfege syllables.

There are probably other ways, but these are the most obvious that I can think of.

Are these examples what you were looking for?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -