Custom Tone Names

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

LadyBluebell
Ear training enthusiast

Custom Tone Names

Post by LadyBluebell » Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Hello. How do I add custom tone names to the pitches? I want to use an alternative solfege notation in a fixed form, but have not been able to figure out how to do this. Thanks!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Re: Custom Tone Names

Post by Quentin » Apr 20, 2017 1:23 am

Hello,

If you are on Windows or Mac OS X, then you can find the file English.lan, open it with TextEdit or Notepad, and edit the tone naming system that you want to change. If it's a fixed Do system, then you can simply change the Fixed-Do tone names already available in EarMaster.

Out of curiosity, what alternative system are you using?
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

LadyBluebell
Ear training enthusiast

Post by LadyBluebell » Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Thank you for your help. This will be useful regardless, for I also use a number form of movable solfege that would be a good alternative to the software's movable do.

Yet this is much easier, & I need less work on this. But it would be an improvement.

What I am actually wanting to use is Siler's solfege system for my own personal fixed note names. This would be a great help for my own internalization process.

I found the fixed-do in the text file, but I am ideally wanting a way to name all 35 notes. I only see a way to rename the naturals. (I suppose that is why this comes up as Do# or Tib in the exercises.)

This is not a big deal, but it would be helpful for my own exercises. Thanks!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 21, 2017 1:59 am

Hi,

Indeed, EarMaster automatically appends the naturals with alterations, so it is not possible to edit each altered form and make it compatible with Siler's system.

[quote=LadyBluebell post_id=10669 time=1492720318 user_id=3611]
I also use a number form of movable solfege that would be a good alternative to the software's movable do
[/quote]

Notice that in the Exercise Settings menu, under Tone Naming, you will also be able to select 'scale degrees' as tone naming system in order to use numbers instead of syllables. Does that correspond to what you were mentioning in your reply?

LadyBluebell
Ear training enthusiast

Post by LadyBluebell » Apr 21, 2017 7:21 am

Actually not exactly.

Movable do has actual names for the sharpened & flattened tones. I personally do not like the concept movable do per my own mental construct, preferring numbers for scale degrees. For tone names, do, re, mi, C, D, E, Siler, whatever form of tone naming is fine.

Yet it looks like I could change movable do names & just use these. I will learn the note names elsewhere, but just thought this could be an extra help.

Will try this out. Thank you for your help.

LadyBluebell
Ear training enthusiast

Post by LadyBluebell » Apr 21, 2017 9:29 am

It will not let me save the file.

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Apr 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello,
The folder might be protected. Try perhaps to save a copy of the file on your desktop, and then copy/paste it in the correct folder to replace the original file. You will need administrator access level to do that.