chord identification

Need technical advice? Don't know where to find an option? Here is the right place to ask.

Moderator: Quentin

Quante
Ear training freshman

chord identification

Post by Quante » Aug 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Since I started with music I have always wanted to just hear a chord and instantly know what chord is being played, so I thoght the drill "chord identification" would help me.
but what is the meaning of this drill? it plays a Triad arpeggio, and shows the bass note in it. having learned the triad shapes on guitar already what is the point?
and ALL i can do is clicking on the fretboard marking out the triad!!

after 10 times or so going in and out of this exercise, the window "excercise setup" appears and now all of a sudden it plays the chord harmonic.
still showing the bass note on the fretboard but the difference now is it plays both major and minor chords.
hearing the difference between major and minor is simple, all I do now is klicking in the triad with either the major or minor 3rd.
it still shows the bass chords and just asks me if its major or minor that is being played. how is this going to help me identify chords??

I am very sorry for not making much sense, but I am really lost here, is this how it is supposed to be?!

Quentin
EarMaster.com

Post by Quentin » Aug 06, 2009 1:16 am

Hi,
The first lessons of the "Chord Identification" exercise are indeed very simple. But remember the lessons are progressive, and the level is increasing until lesson 25 (9th chords played harmonically)

You can also make customized exercises. At the welcoming screen, choose "Customized Exercise" for the training mode and "Chord ID" for the exericise area. You will then enter a set up window where you 'll be able to define what chords to include in the exercise, how they should be played, have the tonic played or not, etc.

Then, if you go further and click on "Exercise control settings, you will be able to define practical details, like defining time limits for answering, whether the bass tone should be shown, what interfaces should be used to answer (you can for instance have only the multiple choice to be shown, or the staff, etc.).

To sum up, tutor lessons are progressive, starting from beginner level to very advanced. With the customized mode, you can decide how difficult the exercise must be and how you would like to use it. :-)
- Because in Music, We're All Ears... -

renraa
Ear training freshman

"Chord ID"

Post by renraa » May 05, 2010 6:16 am

1° I dont know wy but the program, sometimes, change the fretboard sounds to a lower sound (to lower octaves), when I was wondering shouldn't be still in a fixed position I am not playng bass it is just guitar, so the option here is the possibility to give excersise to play only on guitar and if asked to bass.
2º there sould be open chords and Barred chords using all the strings on the Fretboard. It seems to me this program was totally design for piano lessons and not for guitar since you only play triads and they added the guitar fretboard just for show.
3° and please put an option to disable auto-fingering, the other posts are right it is frustating.

4° add this to the Chord Inversion.

Add better range of chords and ways to do it.

To me the program is not worth yet (it show a great potential but) since I hardly have skill or need to use wathever my ear is learning from this program.

I am a month or more using this program and still cant identify anything wen I think for now it is still better hearing a song.

Hans
EarMaster.com

Post by Hans » May 10, 2010 1:05 am

1) If the question is outside the range of the guitar, EarMaster has to transpose the fretboard so you are able to enter the correct tones.

2) EarMaster is designed for Ear Training which is closely connected with general music theory. The EarMaster lessons are based on general music theory where chords are in root position to begin with. Though guitar players seldom use chords in root position it is still important to know the theory behind the chords.

3) We will disable the auto fingering (or make it optional) in a future version of EarMaster.

Best regards,
Hans Jakobsen
EarMaster